Transmission cost

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I took it to the shop today to get transmission flush and was told that it was in such a bad shape that if they do the fluid flush, the car might not move and that the transmission was just buying time
before it goes down. The question is, how much would it cost to get transmission replaced.
Thanks
Forgot to mention that my car is 2001 Buick Century.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mani,
First, let us drop back about 3 squares. First, what kind of shop did you take it to for that transmission flush? How many miles are we talking about on that vehicle? Has the transaxle been reacting strange, such as delayed shifts, slips, weird noises, etc.?
I'm VERY suspect of any shop that, without really checking it out, pronounces your transaxle as toast.
I'm no great fan of transaxle flushes without also taking down the pan and replacing the filter assembly. Just doing a fluid flush would be like changing the engine oil and leaving in an old oil filter.
Also, if that flush machine is not cleaned out from the last job they did you'll inherit all the crap that was in that last transmission..
So anyway, before you shell out $2500~3000 P&L to have a tranaxle put in that car, let's try and figure out if one is actually needed.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

I'll echo Bill's comments and add that unless this car has been abused or the car has very high mileage, this really sounds suspect. These transmissions are quite solid and they run for a very long time. That said - what was it that caused you to take it to the shop for a flush in the first place?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
William H. Bowen wrote:

Mani
On a car with 95K miles, a shop that has no history of the car might be wary of doing a flush on the trans - basically a CYA response on their part. I agree with you, though, that it's a good idea to change the trans fluid. How about just getting the pan dropped, a new filter and fresh fluid? That goes for about $125 in my area.
Doug

My experience is different. In 45 years of car ownership, I've only ever changed the fluid in one transmission. I've only ever had a problem with one transmission. Can you guess which one? And yes, some of them have gone 200,000 miles with nothing ever done to them.
experience is different. In 45 years of car ownership, I've only ever

one
I hope and pray that I never buy a used car that you have owned.
wrote in message news:q7bzg.183862> My

Why? My cars are very well cared for. The oil is changed regularly, but not at 3500 miles. The body is perfect, clean, waxed, engine is tuned up when needed, etc. You don't get 150k to 200k by abusing and not caring for a car. Transmissions, OTOH, really don't require much service unless something wears over many miles. It can happen. Pretty close to being a sealed system.
Make all the comments you want, but can you explain why the only trans that ever broke down was the one that received some "preventative maintenance" and the others were flawless? Make all the suppositions you want, but facts are facts.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

it's simple, you didn't do the preventative maintenance soon enough, or you didn't do it correctly. (or, of course, you might have had a car that had a design or manufacturing flaw in the transmission.) Saying things like doing recommended PM causes transmissions to fail earlier than they otherwise would is flat out idiotic and I should hope that nobody reading this is dumb enough to infer from your post that one should not properly maintain a transmission. BTW 200K miles is nothing for a good car; with fluid changes and band adjustments every 50K a good auto trans should last double or triple that before requiring any other work.
nate
(prefers stickshifts anyway, and yes I do change my gear oil and am partial to Redline. Good clean synthetics never hurt anyone.)

I didn't say it was the cause, but that is the only one I ever had a problem with. Waste of the $65 I paid if it was going to fail anyway as this did not prevent it. Again, from FACTS, not hearsay, I don't see the need Many cars, no service, no failures. I'm happy.

Argh! This one is hard to swallow. There are no band adjustments any more Nate.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

There are on the cars *I* work on! (I might be a few years behind.) how about an edit to "band adjustments if applicable" then?
nate

more
Hate to break the news to you but my 1997 Dodge van has bands that have to be adjusted. Admittedly, this is not a GM application, and this vehicle is older than the car the OP referenced, but in generic terms, some transmissions one may encounter nowadays still have adjustable bands.

the
I'm crushed by the news. Well, maybe not quite crushed... Actually your point is well taken. I was certainly thinking GM transmissions so mine was a rather short sighted statement.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

was
No matter what you say on here, somebody will come up with an exception, Mike. I pretty much knew where you were coming from.
My 'plenty fine' Dodge van is beginning to be an old car now, not modern at all, but tough as dirt.

I've always followed a schedule of changing tranny oil and filter every three years, ever since I bought my first car 35 years ago. I've never had a tranny failure - ever. I've always done it myself to keep costs down, but it isn't that hard to do. If any of your cars went over 200K miles with no trans maintenance and didn't have a problem, you were very fortunate.

trans
ever
it
I too service my tranny at regular intervals but the fact of the matter is that car are all over the road that are just like what Edwin describes - no tranny service at all and still running strong at 200K+. Look - it's one thing to believe in performing maintenance but to start throwing hobgoblins out in the dark and suggesting something that is just plane contrary to every day experience is simply bullshit. Plenty of trannys that have been adequately serviced have failed. I know - I too am the owner of one that failed after proper service.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

no
hobgoblins
been
I had two that failed at 100K, with good service. Both freaking GM Metric shitteaux 440T4's. Many in that series didnt make it to 100K, just as some Ford and Chrysler transmissions of late have been very prone to failure, no matter what you do to them.
Still, given the option of buying a well maintained and serviced used car, and buying one from an owner that chooses NOT to service the transmission, or to run extended oil intervals, etc...the choice for me is clear.

You would have a valid point if it made a difference. I do change engine oil on a regular basis, but at the intervals suggested by the manufacturer, not some Quickie Lube place that wants you back every three weeks to take your money.
In my years of ownership of cars with automatic transmissions, following your suggestion I'd have had service at least 15 times, maybe more. At today's dollar it would have cost me $1200+ and have NO gain. Why should I spend the money? It made no difference in the life of the car. Sounds silly to me, but your money is your money.