Transmission doesn't shift when cold

Folks
1988 Delta 88 Royale Brougham with the 3 series V6 motor. 4 speed over drive transmission.
Now that cold weather has hit, 0 C or 32 F or colder, I have to drive
the car a block or two before it will shift from first to second. It's quite sluggish for another block or two and then is just fine.
Any thoughts on this problem? My mechanic figures it needs a rebuild. I'm a bit skeptical of that. Besides that's kinda expensive.
I did come across one posting for a similar car suggesting a stuck governer. There's a governer inside the transmission? He sprayed 1/3 can of carb cleaner down the dipstick hole. Presumably he meant the transmission dipstick hole.
Tony

It seems to indicate 'heavy'/dirty fluid. Has the transmission fluid/filter been serviced in the last 50,000mi or so? What you are saying is that once it warms up, everything works ok.
I don't know about spraying any type of cleaner into a dipstick tube, be it the one for your engine oil or the transmission.
If it has been serviced properly, the Lucas brand of transmission conditioners are very good. I'd sure try the Lucas product before spending big $$ for a rebuild on an '88 vehicle......
JMO
Dave S(Texas)
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:31:41 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Transmission was just flushed a few days ago. I should've put that in my email. Also it's a rebuilt with about 40K-50K kms on it.

Agreed.
Ok, I'll poke about then for that brand.
Tony

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas
First thing to check is the fluid level. The transmission fluid is normally checked when the engine is fully warmed to operating temperature. It should show on the dipstick at the cross-hatched area or equivalent for your car. If not, top it up it should work properly. Also, check its color. If it is not bright red, you may have trouble and a fluid flush and refill is in order. Failing these things, it needs repair - it could be just a sensor, band but it could also be worse. Let us know.

On 24 Nov 2004 15:46:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (hunkman) wrote:

Sorry, I should've stated I just had it flushed due to this problem Mechanic said the flud wasn't burnt or anything like that.
Tony
I had the same problem wiht my 3.0L 604 chrysler transmision at about sub 20F. It did not shift to 3rd for about a day, and next day it started to shift fine when the weather got warmer. I put a bottle Trans-X (autozone or advance autopart stuff). What it does is, it just expands the 0 rings. I stricly against spraying carb cleaner in transmision since it will melt some gaskets. even it fixes some, it will melt the others.
good luck.
On 25 Nov 2004 12:38:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ulas cosar coskun) wrote:

Well, no I wouldn't even think of putting any "cleaner" other than stuff specifically for automatic transmissions.
Tony

Additional information that I had forgotten. It's warmed up a bit so another symptom is occurring.
Between 5 or 10 C and 0 C (or 45 F and 32 F) when starting off it's very sluggish. The motor revs up fine but it's really slow accelerating. Again a minute or so and this symptom goes away.
Tony
Has the fluid/filter ever been changed...sounds like your fluid is getting thick.
A relatively small investment in a fluid and filter might just be the ticket, especially if whats in it is the original.

I just had it flushed. Presumably they did the filter at the same time. It's a rebuilt tranny with only 50K kms on it.
Tony

done? The filter is a billable item and likely would have been noted. Look underneath at the trans pan bolts. Do they look like they have been off recently, as in looking clean? On the Caddies, if the seals on the filter where it connects to the pickup tube get hardened or shrink, it can suck a bit of air instead of fluid when cold and the fluid is thicker. That can give the symptoms you describe. I tried to find a post by someone I believe to be a Caddy engineer explaining this, but can't locate it. Likely the filter was replaced when the trans was rebuilt but who knows what quality parts were used. I'd ask whoever flushed the trans if the filter was changed. Then I'd drop the pan anyway to verify it was done correctly and the retaining clips or bolts are in place. Lots cheaper than going for a rebuild on the word of one individual. FWIW YMMV DFB Y
"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas
If memory serves...there is a band adjustment on these trannies. I am going to send you to a guy who I think will have the answer in the alt.trucks.chevy newsgroup. Ping either "TransSurgeon" or "Doc" I have been reading thier posts on that group for a year or so and they really know thier stuff.....

Tony VE6MVP wrote:

I noticed in another part of this thread that you said the tranny is a rebuilt. My bet is that the rebuilder over or under or improperly torqued the valve body bolts when putting it back together, and now your 1-2 shift valve(s) are sticking. It may be presure related, or a but my bet is valve body.
--
Paul
'91 XL1200