"Transmission Flush": Required ?

Page 2 of 2
"Robert11" wrote:

There is a lot of hype over flushing. I feel it is over rated and it causes more problem than it cures though it helps the bank accounts of those pushing it. The only time that I can think of warranting a flush is if you overheated tranny badly and cooked the oil and were trying to salvage/save it. You did right and do not give it another thought.
We service thousands of high mileage fleet vehicles every month in our fleet service business. We have been using tranny flushing machines, as a prevent maintenance tool, quite successfully for around five years.
Seems to me there is an awful lot of misinformation being posted on how a tranny flushing machine does its work and the advantages of flushing over simply draining the fluid and taking down the pan.
I would suggest one do a search before posting anymore of that misinformation
mike hunt
SnoMan wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Wow, I totally agree with you Mike! It's not often I do, but in this case, you are right. We've been using "flushing" (fluid exchange) machines for years and they work fine and do not damage anything. Why folks like "Snoman" have to muddy the waters with their "old wives tales" is beyond me.
Ian
In my experience, the dirt from a transmission is fine powder, I'm in favor of dropping pan, and scrubbing away dirt, + new filter. If you want to be a real shark, change again a couple thousand miles later. A motor lets you drain almost all oil out, not so with trans, which only allows removal of a couple quarts, approx 2 gallons stays in the internal passages. I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid for hot climate, severe duty, takes a few change outs to be * almost * all synthetic. Conventional or synthetic, fluid should be changed when dirty.
"451CTDS" wrote:

Mobil One tranny fluid is not the cure for hot climates because even if the oil can take more heat you do not want it to because the seals in tranny do not like heat either and sustained temps above 220 or so can shorten their life a lot. The real answer for a tranny in hot climates is proper cooling of engine and tranny because high engine temps tend to put more heat in tranny to from airstream and heat conduction. If you have enough cores in your radiator with proper fans and a proper aux cooler and correct gearing for load, it is quite possible to tow in 110 degree heat with normal engine temps while maintaining tranny temps of 200 or below with regular ATF fliud. If it heats up it is because your cooling system is not cutting it, not because of the ATF fluid you are using.
"shiden_kai" wrote:

Gee I have seen tranny goo twenty and 30 years without flushing. The real "new" old wifes tale is that you need to do it. Agian the ONLY time you need to do it is if fluid is cooked or maybe fouled with water. If fluid is "normal" , anything more the a filter change and fluid refill is wasted man hours and money. The best thing you can do with a fleet of trucks or car is to make sure that the trannies have enough cooling in HD service because that will extend their life far more than any power flushing.
SnoMan wrote:

Nobody is saying that you "have" to have your transmission flushed. What some of us are saying is that it is a perfectly legitimate way to maintain your transmission, as is doing a tried and true "transmission service". Anything new comes along and it throws all you "old dogs" for a loop! Try to grow up and realize that there other ways of doing things.
Ian