Transmission Pan Gasket

In the past I use to use a thin layer gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place on the pan to reinstall it. I just picked up a filter kit today which had a rubber gasket and in the directions it said not to use gasket sealer, but to use a small amount of grease. My question is why should you not use sealer? Just curious.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote: Re: Transmission Pan Gasket

In the past I used a thin layer of gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place. My new filter kit has a rubber gasket and the directions say to not use gasket sealer, but to use a small amount of grease. Why not use sealer? _________________________________________________________

A gasket is made to seal irregularities in mating surfaces from leakage. A compatible lubricant should be applied to the gasket faces or its mating surfaces to allow it to conform to the irregularities during tightening.

Added sealant compositions may:

1..) Retain the gasket in place during handling and installation. 2.) Be necessary if mating surfaces are badly damaged. 3.) Chemically attack the gasket material due to incompatibility. 4.) Harden and crack, allowing leakage to return. 5.) Be unnecessary but harmless.

It's up to you. Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

I can only guess that they might not want the potential contamination of the ATF with gasket sealer material. Long ago, when I worked on auto trannies, we were allowed to use vaseline to lubricate some of the parts as we reassembled the units, but nothing else. These units can be a bit touchy about contamination.

Reply to
hls

This is especially a problem in the newer units with solenoid controls and lots of extra passages for fluid.

Reply to
Steve W.