Transmission Pan has no magnet, is it normal ?

When replacing the filter in the automatic transmission, I noticed that there is no magnet on the inside of the pan. Is it normal ? The vehicle is 1997 Venture with a 4T-60E transmission.
Should I add a magnet before I put it back together ? The residue looks clean with no burnt smell and no metal shavings.
DL wrote:

Yeah. I would. It should be about 2.5 cm x 5 cm and about 2 mm thick. And flexible.
Does the magnet need to be glued down? I am not sure where I can find a magnet that size. Just wondering, do you think the original magnet somehow got dissolved ?
Paul wrote:

Don't listen to the trolls on here. Go to your nearest GM parts counter and ask them to look it up. If there is no magnet there probably isn't one. The only ones that I have found with a magnet are ones with drain plugs....

Hi there, I checked with the auto dealers, they confirmed that there should be a magnet, Part#866-58-30 (about $6). Unfortunately, the nearest GM dealer which has in stock is an hour drive away. Then, I checked a number of auto stores, none of them carry magnets any more. I even tried begging local transmissions repair shops to sell me one to no avail. Then I searched the Internet and found an idea. I took apart an old broken disk drive, inside were two pieces of magnets. Almost perfect size, flat and very very strong. I strip the paint off, and put them on the pan. They were so strong that it was difficult to pull them off with bare hands. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for replying to my post.
80 Knight wrote:

I have no idea why one would need a magnet inside a transmission made of aluminum.
mike hunt

Speaking of trolls!!!
Ummm... are you SURE that all the parts are aluminum?
Somehow I kind of doubt it.
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

Of course, they are not, Nate... He was 'taking your scalp'. The case may be aluminum alloy, but the valve body, clutch plates, gears etc are mostly steel.
Woody wrote:

You are calling other folks trolls, and then you post this drivel?! It's always best to actually know what you are talking about before posting.
Ian

I haven't taken the pan off a GM product in the last 15 years or so that didn't have a magnet. There may have been some produced, and I don't have the extensive access that some of you do, I'll grant you.
And I haven't seen a drain plug on a GM tranny in that timespan either (except for the one I installed in the pan of my 440T4 Metric)
And, every one that I have serviced has had the magnet covered with iron powder sludge.
We will have to work on an aluminum magnet for Mike.
Perhaps it came with the fluid? ;)
mike hunt

One of my old instructors told us about a run of Studebakers made in the war years. Studebaker had a really good name, at least at one time.
As the mechanics began to work on them (and you remember, and engine was OLD when it had 50-60,000 miles on it in those days), they found that these engines had pistons but no rings. They had never had any rings.
For whatever reason, they had never been installed.
And, according to him, they didn't burn oil nearly like you would have expected.
Truth or not, I never knew for sure. But then I wouldn't doubt it either.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Seeing as the Studes made during that time were likely Champion sixes, I kind of doubt that they didn't burn any oil. Champions seem to be notorious for laying down a smokescreen when they get to "a certain age." Perhaps this did happen, however, and the smoking wasn't noticeable over the smoke that was normal due to the oil being pumped past the lifter bores :/
Now the Stude V-8... THERE is an engine... (got a '63 unsupercharged 10.25:1 Avanti engine ready to go in my '55... woo hoo!) not a lot of cubes (259 or 289 typical, 304.5ci in Granatelli-built "R3" or "R4" spec) but they can take one hell of a beating, and ludicrous amounts of boost without complaint. And the block castings are comparable material to a "high performance" high-nickel block from any other mfgr...
nate