transmission repair cost

I just had the transaxle repaired on a 95 Pontiac Bonneville. It ended up costing $2460. Did I just get screwed over? They wanted to charge over $2700, But I complained. They said they would use rebuilt instead of new parts. What type of chain is used in a transmission and how can one rebuild it? I would think that if a chain became worn or stretched out of tolerance, it would be hard to repair it. I think I got ripped off and I might stop payment on my MasterCard. What does everyone think? P.S. They also charged for a rebuilt torque converter and valve body.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I'd say your cost is about right. My rebuild ( in 2001 @ 192,000 miles ) was $1957, but was discounted to $1510 because we've been dealing with the transman for 30 years. Your car has an electronic controlled transmission, mine is hydraulic controlled. An electronic one costs more so that means its more $$ to rebuild.

A new valve body for mine was $800 as opposed to a rebuilt one for $350.

Not sure what parts are rebuilt & what parts are new when it comes to a rebuild kit. I know the valve body & clutch drums are rebuilt units.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face
1998 GMC Jimmy rebuild last June was $1,800.00

Reply to
Tim or Linda

It might help to post some more of the facts. WHo did it? New car dealer? Chain transmission shop? Independent garage? Where you given a quote in advance? Did you ask for one? Did you OK the work? What kind of warranty on the work? $2000 seems about average for a FWD car.

Bob

Reply to
(remove)sound(remve)

And a clutch job...

Never going to buy an automatic again. $1500+ is just usurous.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander
95 pontiac grand prix, $2400 for my tranny overhaul.

Reply to
WHO??

Wow. That's... hideous. 5 clutch jobs at least.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
Hai Pham

Do people not believe in used parts anymore??? I changed a tranny out with a viable donor from a wrecked car (that means at least it was moving; AND had a 3 month warranty) and came in at $800 with $200 for my labor. Granted it was a 1996 Honda Accord that the guy had TOWED a trailer with (MORON)...but I would guess a GM tranny would come out cheaper than $800. Took a whole lot less time than waiting on the rebuild to occur too. Anyway...just curious as to why folks don't look in that area as a source of parts.

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman
8,

In my case I'm not into R&R ing the hard parts. For me, I want to be done with the job the first time. When the trans man rebuilt mine he had to pull the trans out 3 more times ( total of 4 ) between January & March. He through the valve body was the problem each time so he put in

2 more rebuilt valve bodies, then tried a new one. The trans still didin't work right. On removal # 4 a crack in the clutch drum was discovered. That was the problem all along.

He was not happy having to remove the trans 4 times in 2 months. Nor was I.

I love watching these guys at junkyards taking starters & altenators off cars that have been sitting around for a year with no hood and all the rain & snow getting inside everything, and the car sitting axle high in puddles when it rains.

These type of parts that can strand you somewhere, I'd rather buy a new or rebuilt unit rather than used.

Plus I also put high miles on the car every year so I want good parts, never know when I'll take a jaunt down to Miami.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I have dumb luck then. Out of the several dozen motor or tranny changes I have done for myself and others, I have only had one return...on my old Dodge truck. (knocking on some hard oak wood right now) Went back and forth to the junkyard four times and went through three trannys in a week...NOT a fun time. Good thing I lived on the Air Force base where I was able to walk to work. I guess it is all a matter of what you want to get yourself stuck into!! LOL

8upman

PS some of us do not have the privledge to jaunt to Miami on a whim, ,and I am only about 9 hours away!!

Reply to
Eightupman

I've owned many cars with automatic transmissions and all gave me great service and none required a transmission overhaul. On the other hand, every car or truck I've had with a stick in it required numerous clutch changes and some vehicles required trans. overhauls. The trick with an automatic is to maintain it properly and keep it cool.

Reply to
Rich B

I think you got charged properly

just did a 96 and it ran 2400 out the door

Reply to
TransSurgeon

yeah

you had a 'good used transmission' just before it failed, and now you've got another one

real rocket-science economics at work

Reply to
TransSurgeon

YIKES. Sign me up for a manual transmission.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

the last manual I did ( M5R2 in a Ford truck) ran to about 1700 including clutch job

NOTHING is inexpensive when it comes to transmissions anymore

did a 4R100 (late model Ford E4OD) truck unit last summer, parts alone were over 1200

Reply to
TransSurgeon