Transmission Shift Problems

I have a 1995 Buick Lesabre with shifting problems. It is front wheel drive. When I start the car and apply brake to shift out of park to drive/neutral/reverse doesnt matter, you can hear the car like it engages in gear but stays in park. The car wont move in any gear. If I play with the shifter going from neutral to drive it will eventually leave park and fully engage in Drive. Now if I want to go in reverse I need to put it in neutral and slowly shift to reverse. If I stop completely in reverse it locks up in park again and I have to go back to playing with neutral and drive. If I go from reverse to neutral after rolling a bit in reverse I can then go back to drive. At any point if I go from drive directly to reverse or park it gets stuck in park again.

Another note that when I am able to get it in reverse from neutral it makes a clicking noise. The faster I go the more it clicks (the sound when you go from drive to directly to park without stopping).

Before this happened I was able to shift from park to reverse but it would make that clicking noise while I were to back up. I would tap down a bit on the shift lever and the clicking would silence. Eventually I couldn't get it to quit making the clicking. Then I couldnt get the car into any gear including neutral.

Anyone out there with any suggestions would be great. I checked the linkeage and it seems to be fine.

Thank you!!!

Reply to
Skyline_156

ROY BRAGG