Transmission symptoms

Hi,
My automatic transmission seems to have gradually developed some quirks. Most notably:
When you shift into drive or reverse, there is a pause, followed by an
audible clunk, and sometimes the car jerks forward or backward a bit. When shifting between gears with the lever, it seems a bit loud as well- you can hear the clicks from outside the car.
When driving, the car seems to delay when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Especially noticeable if excellerating fast- the engine roars, and then there's a pause before further acceleration.
The car is otherwise mechanically okay except for a dirty carb and funky vacuum lines which need to be replaced. The tranny seems to have no leaks. It's overfilled but I'm told that that's no big deal. The underside of the car got splashed last year- dont know what effect that might have had.

The clunk could be torque converter to ring gear bolts loose. Has the driveline ujoints been checked.
Rey

Bill the transmission being over filled is indeed a problem. If it's to full the fluid will tend to foam in some transmissions causing fluid starvation to the internals when pumped.
I'd definitely take care of that if I were you.
Brian
Could be a cracked flex plate, my 76 Chevelle would run ok most times, make noises and clunks occasionally. Flange broke at all four corners, and car still drove OK. My advice, remove dust shield, and shine flashlight up there. While your at it, change fluid and filter. A plugged filter can cause weird shifting. consider synthetic trans fluid if you like the car.
I concur, replace drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Can make a world of difference and could be the cheapest source of your problem. Also repair any bad vacuum lines, this could also be related. Could have a codes in the computer, worth checking. Then start looking for other causes. Clicking noise - check the linkage for lubrication. Helps to know what vehicle we are dealing with.