Trany gasket seal reuseable?

Hello, I am told by GM that their transmission pan gasket is reuseable and needs no gasket seal when reusing the seal. Is this true...I hope it is...the gasket for my 96 Pontiac is $65.00 Any thoughts. Thank you, Brent

Reply to
Brent

I've personally have never reused a transmission pan gasket, and don't recommend it. Where did you get that price of $65.00? I usually don't pay more than $28.00 for any GM transmission filter and pan gasket.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

It is a hard plastic gasket that can be reused with no problems as long as you don't use a breaker bar to torque it down and crush it.. I have done several fluid and filter changes with the reusable gasket and have had no returns for leaks.

Reply to
Eightupman

I concur with Eightupman. The gasket on my '93 Eldo is reusable. It seems to be neoprene with metal inside, IIRC. Just cleaned it up and torqued to spec. No leaks. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Brian, many of the late model transmissions come with a steel gasket that is covered with rubber. We re-use these all the time as it would be unethical to charge the customers for a new one everytime we pull the trans pan down. They seem to be quite durable and rarely exhibit any type of leak. Even the factory "trans service" kits don't come with the gasket anymore if it's a "reusable" gasket.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Most probably something newer than I've owned, sounds good that it can be reused though. Was the design change for the purpose of instilling more frequent servicing? Not by the dealer but by the owners?

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I was happy that my 99 Montana transmission side cover gasket was also reusable. The gasket is 135.00$CA.

Reply to
ega

I don't think so. I think that materials and sealing techniques have dramatically improved in the last 10 years when it comes to gaskets like oil pan style gaskets. There are still some transmissions that do use throwaway gaskets, truck transmissions in particular.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to