trouble code P0440

I have a 2001 chevy tracker with 2.5L V6 4x4 with about 53K miles. For the past three months this P0440 code (evaporative emmissions control malfunction) has
come on and won't go away, I have replaced the gas cap being told this was a common problem with most cars, no luck. Now i'm told it could be a vapor line from the fuel tank... what line and does anyone have a better solution? any help would be of greatly appreciated.
--
guiness77

The problem could be anything in the evap system. It is apparently not holding a vacuum when the computer tests it. A leak anywhere in the system or a defective vent or purge solenoid. Look for any hole or cracked line. Other than that you need to place a vacuum on the tank and monitor with a vacuum gauge to test. You may have to drop the tank to find it. It may be cheaper to take it to a mechanic instead of throwing parts at it....