Trunk lock seized

I have an 88 z24 and I found out today that my trunk lock will not turn. I have tried penetrating oil, wd40, and white lithium grease, but the key will not turn. I can't get into the trunk to release it from the inside. How should I go about this? Would coring it with a drill then turning it with a tap work (that worked with old house locks)? I want to avoid damaging the trunk as it's a new trunklid (the lock is less than a year old in fact).

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chachi

You CAN get into the trunk from the inside, just remove the backseat, it's easy, four bolts and you're through. My '88 Z24 had a remote trunk release in the glove box, doesn't yours?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I locksmith could get into it easy. The back seat will come out if you take the lower half out then take the seat belt bolts out then pull up on the seat and lift it out. You can then use a pair of pliers tied to broom handles to get to the back of the pin to turn it.

Reply to
noname

Yes it does, but the actuator is toast... Yet another thing I have to replace... Well, I'll try removing the backseat, but I could have sworn that the backrest was bolted from the trunk side. I'll see when I get there...

Reply to
Chachi

Nope, as noname said, two bolts under the front of the bottom seat cushion to remove, then you'll see two bolts holding the seatbelts and the back part of the seat in, remove, lift up, pull out.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Well this should be fun.... I have 2 amps bolted to the steel on the backrest... What a mess just to get my trunk open to fix it.... Needless to say i *will* be replacing the actuactor in case this happens again! lol

Reply to
Chachi

I've had duplicate keys fit sometimes, and not other, or work great on some cylinders, poorly on others .

Drive to a locksmith, they can pick it in a minute or two.

Reply to
451CTDS

Which is why you always get a key cut at the dealership from the key code, cutting a copy of a key from a copy ends up degrading the quality...

Reply to
Paradox

It's not a faulty key, the lock assembly is only 1 year old, and had a new set of keys. Neither key works in the cylinder. It was seized because when I got the trunk open and pulled it out, the cylinder was encrusted with sand, salt, dirt, etc. I bought another lock cylinder which came with new keys, and it works fine, I just have to remember to lube it a few times during the winter to get all the crud out.

Reply to
Chachi

Chachi wrote: > snip w set of keys. Neither key works in the cylinder. It was seized

Reply to
451CTDS

pick it yourself, it's easy. Instructions are on the Internet.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Turned out to be a seized up tumbler in the cylinder. Replaced it and all was fine.

Reply to
Chachi