Tuneup for my 99 Regal LS

I purchased my '99 Regal LS in June of 2002 (3800 Series II). It had about 67K miles. It now has 81K.
I was thinking of getting a tune-up in prep for winter months (Milwaukee,
WI). I purchased the car from a reputable establishment, but I do not know if it has been tuned up yet, and if so, when. Only about 1 out of 5 starts, does it seem to take a little longer to start, so the plugs are probably fine. Any good way to test? I'm not educated enough to be able to pop the hood, and check the plugs/wires. Could you educate me briefly or point me to a good website w/ pics?
Also, should I have the dealer install platinum plugs? Does it really make a difference?
Thanks for all the info!
--
Michael Sovitzky
MCSE: W2K