U.S. car companies do poorly in survey

Japanese cars rule in reliability - Mercury sole Big 3 brand in Consumer Reports' top 10

-- "I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

John Wayne

Reply to
Jim Higgins

One more indication as to why these type of reports should be take with a grain of salt. Mercurys are after all Fords with different styling and trim levels ;)

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

So true, but would you agree that it makes more sense to not blindly trust and believe an anonymous poster to a new group?

By that I mean, a writer for a major magazine is held accountable for the things he has written. A news group poster can post anything he wants without accountability to anybody.

We all know of a number of "domestic car manufacturer cheerleaders" now don't we ? They seem to post a lot of opinions that they call truth".

Reply to
Bob Bitch'n

I'm not cheering for any manufacture simply posting facts to debunk all of the anti-GM crap, posted by foreign car owners in this GM NG. Everything I post is factual, if you want to do a search for facts. If these reports were to believed Ford and Mercury should be side by side in any comparison since most are the same vehicles with different styling and trim levels.

How is it none, if any, of the so called most dependable vehicles are not the best selling among it competitors? In the real world the truest survey as to which are the best among its comparators is the ones that sell the most. ;)

mike hunt

"Bob Bitch'n" They seem to post a lot of opinions that they call truth".

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, that's right, just because something is popular means it *has* to be good. Just like the speakers you buy at Wal-Mart are better than studio monitors. geez, you never cease to amaze.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's not how it works. You have zero credibility and just because you say "X", is not a reason for us to go scurrying around verifying that your assertion of "X" is true. You've often stated that Toyotas are "20% to 30%" mroe expensive than Chevys. I've checked and only found information that contradicts you.

I think we can trust CR. From

"I don't think the magazine has any bias," Ford's Stevens says. "There is still a gap between us and the Asians. I realize that, and there's more (improvement) to go after."

Stevens, who says she studied seven years under quality guru W. Edwards Deming, says it's impossible to manufacture a product as complex as a car or truck with zero defects, but "we won't be happy or satisfied until we oust some of the Asians in those top picks."

Duh. How do you think the Camry got to be number 1 in its class? Toyota sells about as many Camrys as Chevy sells Impalas AND Malibus. Style, price with packages, incentives, colors, simulated wood-grain trim, exact measurements of trunk space, headroom, control panel layout, brand loyalty, all kinds of things combine to make a person decide what car to buy. Reliability is ONE factor, it is not the only factor. Reliability HELPS sell cars at GOOD prices. Then, reliability helps the automaker make money by keeping warranty costs under control.

Whatever Toyota's doing, it's working.

See Autonews / Data Center / Light Vehicle Sales

***
Reply to
DH

However quality levels can be quite different. Over the years I've rented many different cars. The Pontiac GA and the similar Malibu were surprisingly quite different. I judged the Pontiac very good, but the Malibu poor, mainly due to the poor design and quality of the interior.

Reply to
Spam Hater

You mean like the number one selling car in the US, the Camry? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are free to believe whatever you chose I could not care less what you believe.. You only posted base prices that did not even include shipping, not real world prices. You must be a used car buyer, if you want to be enlightened do your own homework, go get a drive home price on several 2006 models

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

That is only your opinion and it may be true or not, but all the CVs and the GMs are built with the same basic materials on the same assemble line in a plant in Canada. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yea, but some are built on Mondays and Fridays! ;-) Everybody knows you don't want a car built on Mondays and Fridays!

Reply to
jcr

I get a laugh out of that. If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.

Shipping is practically negligible. Still, KBB takes it into account, if you don't like Edmunds.

However, if it pleases you to know, I walked by the Chevy dealer today. They hit you up for shipping, too.

"Drive home price." There's another laugh. I don't trade and I go with my own financing ready. And I am often a used car buyer. That helps to reduce automotive expense. You can learn about expense by taking accounting and finance classes at your local community college.

Well, I take it back. I have only rarely traded. I may trade next time because I have very desirable Toyotas to trade that are worth a fair bit and I'm thinking of moving up to something nicer.

If I'd bought a new Dodge Caravan in '01, I don't think I'd be considering trading it because they're not worth anything. A buddy bought a very clean '02 last year at a dealer for $5K less than the going rate on an '01 Sienna this year. He wanted an Odyssey but the best deal he could find was more than double what he paid for the Caravan. For an '01 Odyssey.

***
Reply to
dh

The Camry is supposed to be the number one selling sedan in the USA, not the number one selling car. This was quoted in a network documentary last Sunday, whether or not it true and documentable.

Reply to
<HLS

Rumors and Proproganda 101

Confirm the source! Confirm the authenticity! Laugh it off!

Some dream examples:

The Cadillac Deville is supposed to be the number one selling sedan in Japan, not the number one selling car? This was quoted in a Japanese network documentary last Sunday, whether or not it true and documentable?

Can you imagine if the US Department of Defense got hard up and published bids for toyota staff cars?

Can you imagine if the White House got hard up and published bids for toyota limos?

Can you imagine if Brinks got hard up and published bids for toyota armored cars?

Can you imagine if trucking industry got hard up and published bids for toyota Class 7 & 8 Trucks with Luberfiner rice oil filters?

What do you do with a rice burner in recent years that have soft camshafts that have a useful life of only 20,000 miles?

SNIP

Reply to
Charge

By what you post I guessed you were an used car buyer. You obviously know little about what it costs to drive home a new vehicle today. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Camry is indeed the number one selling single CAR but NOT the number one selling vehicle. The Camry is the number FOUR selling vehicle in the US. The number one selling single vehicle is the Ford F150, by nearly twice as many as the Camry. The Silverado is number two and the Doge Ram is number three, all of which outsell the Camry in big numbers. The total numbers are available on the US Commerce Department web site for those willing to do a search.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Often" is not the same as "always." By your post, you have demonstrated that you do not read.

Trust Edmunds or you? Edmunds.

Toyotas are no more expensive than "comparable" Chevys. Get over it.

***
Reply to
dh