UAW-GM to begin talks July 23

The UAW will begin national bargaining with General Motors Corp. on July

23, UAW President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice President Cal Rapson said this morning during a Web-chat with members.

The union officials added that they have not yet seen GM?s proposals on what the automaker would like to do with the jobs bank and whether it wants to change the rules that govern when someone is eligible for it.

The jobs bank is the controversial policy that continues to provide workers with close to full pay when their jobs are eliminated.

?We have not yet seen GM?s proposals on the bank or national hire,? they wrote. ?We will address each of these issues carefully and bring the membership the best contract possible.?

GM union membership is about 74,500, the UAW officials said.

Reply to
Jim Higgins