UAW vs non-UAW

Management are responsible for the agreements causing high costs.

Reply to
who

You need to remember here that the reason legacy costs hurt is that there's shrinkage instead of growth. If the company grows today, then the amount of retiree cost per car is smaller today. If the company shrinks, then the cost goes up, and the company has more and more difficulty competing. In Ford's case, the shrinkage is getting to be pretty painful. Even if the Big

3 stayed the same size, Toyota's growth still helps Toyota work at an advantage.
Reply to
Joe

So what if they were crap, they were selling. Many of the sales were to foreign governments that put a bid out and the low price got the sale.

My point is that we are competing on a global scale. While the company and union was arguing about wages here, the government of Burma or Sudan or wherever bought the backhoe from Kubota.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski