unhooking door chime 2003 Silverado

I have heard that a one wire unhook is all it takes to disconnect the door chime on Chevy trucks... Does anyone here know which wire on the radio will do it?

Reply to
noname

Do what? ;)

mike hunt

n>

Reply to
MajorDomo

Allow me to expand. The late model GM full-size trucks don't use a separate door chime, but instead use a system that sounds a chime tone through the driver's door radio speaker. Noname is looking for the wire coming from the door and goes to the radio that sounds the chime, but I don't know which one (if any) it is, or if it is programmed to activate when the door switch is released which means that it may only be one wire but it could control several things (like the dome light, the door ajar message on the driver's info center, etc.). Since GM uses a multiplexed electrical system, my bet is that there's not one designated wire that does only just the chime but it's part of the programming in the Body Control Module.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Mike Hunt asked " Do What " ?

The man wants to disconnect his ding - ding.

LOL

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 302,016 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Well, a friend that works for a local Chevy dealership once told me that it was one of the green wires in the multi-wire plug on the radio. Thing is there is three greens, not counting the one front speaker wire that is green. Also he said that the speed controlled volume is another green wire. I can't get in touch with this guy so I'm about to just try each one and see what happens. I can always splice them back together.

Reply to
noname

Hi Noname...

Not a mechanic, just an old retired electrical guy...

If you really decide to do this experiment, then I suggest that you leave the light green wire to last; it's almost certainly the right front speaker(s). (one of the dark greens will be, too)

I'd also first turn the radio volume down to zero, move the front balance to full left, and the front/rear balance to full rear. Make the experiment as quickly as you can.

The radio really really won't like there being no load attached. If you're interested in the rationale, the automotive analogy of running the radio into no load might be to run you engine hard while it's in neutral (no load).

Were it my expensive radio, I'd be very hesitant to risk it.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Based on a cursory look at the wiring diagrams you cannot simply disconnect a speaker unless you want to lose all chimes and all audio function of that speaker. The chime sound is generated within the radio (or the amp if you have one). The radio receives various requests to sound a chime on its class 2 serial data line input and sends the appropriate tone to the left front speaker on the same two wires as the normal audio output. You may not want to fool with that.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

When it comes to electrical, if in doubt, pay a pro do to it.

Reply to
clevere1

RSX-SnKCMO