Unwanted Complexity

Page 2 of 2
On 06/12/2011 03:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:

but that's exactly the kind of concept used with manufacturers like frod and gm on their cast crank engines. they have to be de-tuned about 30% compared to their forged crank brethren of the same displacement.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 6/12/2011 1:09 PM, jim beam wrote:

I understand that engines are de-tuned to increase longevity, however, it's a lot easier if you can do this without changing the hardware. My guess is that these "artificial" HP ratings will be done solely for marketing considerations.
On 06/13/2011 12:40 AM, dsi1 wrote:

inferior fatigue life is no "marketing consideration".
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I wouldn't know anything about that. I'm just guessing that you'll be charged a premium for more performance and it ain't gonna cost the manufacturers a penny, at least for the power part.
On 06/13/2011 03:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:

yup, you got it.
but that's always been the case - "performance" parts, in quantity to the manufacturer, cost hardly anything more than standard parts, yet finished "performance" vehicle price premiums are disproportionate and significant.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

True with most items, but especially true with cars. As you move up the trim levels, I figure you are lucky to get 50¢ worth of goods for every dollar spent.
The only thing that seems to have come down in price is leather seating. Years ago, it was very expensive, but today, it is common on the better trim packages, even on lower end cars. Probably more hides available since McDonalds is selling billions of burgers a year.

Check the "leather seating" cars have now. It's not top grain leather any more, it's a cheaper suede-like material with a coat of plastic on the top to make it look like top grain. Very, very few cars have top grain leather available, and it is far more expensive than the usual "pleather" crap. The "pleather" does not breathe and is sticky in hot weather, but requires less maintenance. --scott

On 06/14/2011 05:05 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

indeed. in fact, full synthetic leathers would be a better deal in that regard - long lasting, breathable, etc.
i never understood why anyone would want to sit on plastic coated crap that makes you sweat. apart from anything else, you slide, which if you want to drive anything other than straight line and use a brake, doesn't make any damned sense.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Persoanally I don't like leather, but my Father liked the slippery stuff. It made it easier to get in and out of the car/truck.
Does anyone remember the "woven vinyl" some manufacturers used it the 70's? It was a sort of relatively thick "plastic" thread woven into a form of cloth. We had it in a big old station wagon and it seem indestructable and breathed well too.
Ed
On 06/14/2011 08:15 AM, C. E. White wrote:

check out the custom covers at coverking.com i have a set of woven breathable mesh on a civic. great fit, apparently indestructible, and far superior to oem.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 06/14/2011 11:15 AM, C. E. White wrote:

I like it 'cause it's easier to keep clean than cloth but isn't as hot and slick as vinyl.

Ford used it well past the 70's; my '93 F150 has it. Still looks good... well, as good as it did when it was new.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I dont like leather either, Ed. It cracks, the surface wears down, and it just looks ratty as the car ages, IMO.

Oil it every six months and it won't crack. It'll wear, but it will look natural when it does so.
It's a maintenance headache, but frankly if you've got an MG, it's the least bothersome of them. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

My MGB seats suffered rainwater damage whether the top was up or stowed.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
On 06/14/2011 03:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

more likely, cheaper chinese processing. tanning is a disgusting and health hazardous business - factors irrelevant to the cost equation in a country run by despots where you can't get a business license, loan or export license unless you're one of the <2% who is allowed to become a member of the party.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

eMobile is close. http://mobilyo.ru /
the question is will it ever get exported anywhere once the manufacturer gets the initial 140,000 pre orders for domestic market handled. Concept is one thing, implementation and dealing with the fallout from field testing is quite another.
Things will sort themself out in a few years.
On 6/20/2011 4:51 AM, AD wrote:

My Russki is kinda rusty but that looks like a hydrogen-fuel cell vehicle. The build looks cheap in a scary way. OTOH, I could dig a primitively honest car like a Meyers Manx. :-)

Ok, so you can have one electric motor powering just the left or right wheel to reduce complexity :-) Left one has an advantage of more likely being on the part of pavement with some traction. Right one has an advantage to help in equal left/right weight distribution assuming the driver is always heavier than the passenger oк having a typical scenario of absent passenger in mind.
really I need some power to the front just to get unstuck: no need for an oversized battery of a hybrid. Just a rear wheel driver which the "unstuck" enhancement: an electric motor front wheel assist seems like the simplest if not the cheapest way to accomplish this.
Besides, if you'd like it could be used instead of the alternator, thus, hopefully introducing no new parts, just relocating an existing one into a wheel.
Do alternators have clutches like starters to disengage them when not needed to prevent battery overcharging or that is handled differently?
On 06/08/2011 06:07 AM, AD wrote:

The regulator takes care of that by varying the field voltage. It takes next to no power to turn an alternator with no voltage on the field, so no clutch is needed.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 6/8/2011 12:07 AM, AD wrote:

That sure would be simple but I was thinking that you'd need a differential to split the power to two wheels. It might be simpler and lighter to use 2 motors instead.

4 small electric motors at each wheel? It might be the simplest solution.

No clutch on the alternators. My guess is that the load from an alternator never gets that high. You can hear when the alternator is charging the battery sometimes. Usually it's just after you've started the engine.
Oddly enough you don't need clutches on electric motors either. The full torque is available from a dead stop. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.