Used Buying Advice 2000 BUICK REGAL LS

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for a used car and found a 2000 Buick Regal LS for sale by a private party.
The car has 98,800 miles on it and the asking price is $4200. The car
looks very clean.
The owner says the front brakes need to be replaced. I think it is just the pads, not the rotors.
I did a carfax search and found the car was originally owned by a rental company for the first 25,000 miles. The current owner has had the car ever since.
You should be able to see the carfax history report by clicking the following link.
http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/external/viewEmailReport.do?a ću54txnolo2xd1IYLwHWGpB%2BL1FPit6&b=CzgTFa11aUTRCHGPFRXTjw%3D%3D&c=zBTNpJ5ZBag9ZkDfpA6odA%3D%3D
Any comments on how many more miles I might be able to get out of this car? Any mechanical problems I should check for in particular?
Thanks in advance.
Add pictures here
✖
That car has the Generation II 3800 V6 engine...They all are subject to the plastic plenum decomposition problem. If it hasn't already failed and been replaced by the upgraded part, it is likely to fail in the future...Cost to replace can be in the range of $800 or more. Failure can come quickly and without warning. If it happens on the road...you are at the whim of whatever towing group or mechanic you have to use...
The transmission may last another 50,000 or more. Or not.. Depends.
The air conditioning system computer has been known for giving up the ghost in Buicks in this general range. Computer costs about $600.
You might get lots of miles yet with little outgo, but then you might as easily NOT .

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/external/viewEmailReport.do?a ću54txnolo2xd1IYLwHWGpB%2BL1FPit6&b=CzgTFa11aUTRCHGPFRXTjw%3D%3D&c=zBTNpJ5ZBag9ZkDfpA6odA%3D%3D
Add pictures here
✖
Thank you for your post.
Would an inspection by a mechanic reveal if the part has been replaced?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/external/viewEmailReport.do?a ću54txnolo2xd1IYLwHWGpB%2BL1FPit6&b=CzgTFa11aUTRCHGPFRXTjw%3D%3D&c=zBTNpJ5ZBag9ZkDfpA6odA%3D%3D
Add pictures here
✖
Yes if it is the aftermarket type, might be tougher to tell if it is a GM replacement.

-
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

No, you won't be able to tell if the upgraded part has been replaced without pulling the upper plenum. Though, it may be possible to see the upgraded part by pulling the throttle body off. There is no such thing as an "upgraded" upper plenum....it's the lower aluminum intake that has to be changed or reworked.
Ian
Add pictures here
✖

I've read about that problem here with some frequency. Any idea what percentage have failed? Overall, seems to be a good engine except for that coming up all the time.
Add pictures here
✖

Not much different than any other used, car, a crap shoot. May go another 50,000+ or even 1`00,000+ with no major problems, or it could die tomorrow. I have that engine in my car with 114,000 and no problems.
Add pictures here
✖
Thank you again for the posts. My feeling is the buyer won't go down much, but I will try.
The body and interior are in good condition so I would not mind putting some money into the car. Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/external/viewEmailReport.do?a ću54txnolo2xd1IYLwHWGpB%2BL1FPit6&b=CzgTFa11aUTRCHGPFRXTjw%3D%3D&c=zBTNpJ5ZBag9ZkDfpA6odA%3D%3D
According to http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/buick/regal/9983/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult the car is worth about $3400 US in Houston. Take off $400 for brakes. Offer him/her $3000 with the condition that it WILL be inspected be a real tech before sale is final. Offer him/her $100 or so for intent to buy if you back out after inspection. Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail National Base Price $4,105 $5,114 $6,104 Optional Equipment $216 $265 $350 Bucket Seats $0 $0 $0 Compact Disc Changer $82 $101 $133 Power Driver Seat $36 $44 $58 Audio Steering Wheel Controls $18 $23 $30 Alloy Wheels $50 $61 $81 AM/FM/Cassette/CD Audio System $30 $36 $48 Color Adjustment White $-5 $-6 $-7 Regional Adjustment for Zip Code 77002 $-62 $-77 $-92 Mileage Adjustment 98,000 miles $-795 $-795 $-795 Condition Adjustment Average $-838 $-1,024 $-1,186 Total $2,621 $3,477 $4,374
Add pictures here
✖
Hello Paul,
Thanks for the detailed Edmunds info.
I just checked on another car today with lower miles. It is Chrysler Concorde with 61,000 miles with just one owner. I plan to have it inspected on Monday. If it checks out, I will probably take it.
The Regal was a rental car before the first owner bought it, Given that along with the miles it has, I will probably go for the Concord.
Your strategy for making an offer on the Regal sounds interesting though. If the Concord doesn't work out, I'll see if he will go for 3000 based on your info.
All the best.
«» wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

A Concord! If it has the 2.7 V6 it likely needs a new engine. You will have to change the oil every 3000 miles and keep accurate written records for future litigation.
Add pictures here
✖
Hello Paul,
Yes, the Concord I am looking at does in fact have a 2.7 V6.
Good friends of ours have owned Concords for some time now and are pleased with them. They did not mention having problems with the engine.
I plan to have the car inspected by a mechanic today. Can you give me some more information on what is wrong with the engine? I can ask the mechanic to check for a problem. «» wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
I just found several forums that talk of many problems with the 2.7 engine in Concords and Intrepids. I am still researching.
Strange that Consumer Reports does not list this car as one to avoid. In their used car reliability rankings, it is listed as average and the engine reliability for all Concords from 98 to 2004 runs from good to excellent.
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
You might want to post your Chrysler questions here: rec.autos.makers.chrysler Some pretty knowledgable people hang out there. From what I've read, the 2.7 has an oil cooling problem. The engine sludges up and destroys itself.
Add pictures here
✖
I found that forum and posted to it. I read about the oil sludge problem. Will keep researching it.
Many thanks again. «» wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

Oh geez....don't rely on Consumer Reports. We have an ex-Chrysler tech in our shop and his advice is to stay far, far away from that engine.
Ian
Add pictures here
✖
I wouldn't be in much of a rush to depend upon Consumer Reports. Hugely biased towards Japanese cars in general, and Toyota in particular. Their claim of impartiality is preposterously and transparently false. The 2.7 Chrysler engine has been a turkey from day one, and they would know that if they spent a little more time on genuine research and a little less time greasing up Toyota.
snipped-for-privacy@tfy.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the post Rob,
I will keep researching forums for more info on the 2.7. Rob wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Rob wrote:

I am so glad there is someone else who has made the same observation. Most people out there take CR's word as the gospel, and they're wrong half the time.
I remember in the early 90s they rated a Toyota Corolla vs. a Saturn. They said the two cars were equal, but ranked the Corolla first because, well, "It's a Toyota!!" So if they're equal why not just admit they're equal then?
Add pictures here
✖
Hello Paul,
Thanks for the detailed Edmunds info.
I just checked on another car today with lower miles. It is Chrysler Concorde with 61,000 miles with just one owner. I plan to have it inspected on Monday. If it checks out, I will probably take it.
The Regal was a rental car before the first owner bought it, Given that along with the miles it has, I will probably go for the Concord.
Your strategy for making an offer on the Regal sounds interesting though. If the Concord doesn't work out, I'll see if he will go for 3000 based on your info.
For what it's worth, I've owned rental cars before and would not hesitate for a moment to own another. These cars are turned over at very low mileage and there just isn't a lot of "beating" that one can do to a car that would really make it a bad buy. Yeah - you could wind it up and drop it into Drive, but really - how often do you think car renters do this stuff? Especially those that rent a Regal.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net