Venture : TCS vs. snow chain

Hi

I live in France and will ski to Chamonix next month. The Venture is equipped with the TCS (Traction Control System).

1) Is this sufficient on snow or should snow chains be bought?

2) If I have to purchase snow chains how do you think about this ? :

Thanx

Christophe

Reply to
Christophe Salvaing

Christophe,

Traction control pulses the brake on the drive wheel that is loosing traction. The power is transferred to the other drive wheel. This dose not increase to traction of your tires. If you have summer tires on the vehicle, your traction will be limited to the rubber and tread that is on them.

If you plan on driving in deep snow or icy conditions, such as a mountain area, you should consider chains or a good set of (4) snow tires, for good control.

I don't know about France, but in Germany, snow tires are manditory for the winter. If you are using snow tires already, then maybe all will go well.

I know that in the USA in Colorado, It is difficult to manage mountain roads, with heavy snow and ice. Many people use chains, 4 wheel drive, and/or snow tires here.

Happy motoring, GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

I believe the flavor of traction control offered on the Venture doesn't modulate the brakes - it can only limit excessive wheelspin by reducing engine power and upshifting the transaxle. Not near as effective as the systems that can actually brake the spinning wheel, thereby transferring some torque to the wheel with greater traction.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Roger,

You have a good point. I just checked the description of the TCS system on a Venture. Actually it uses both brake pulsing and power reduction.

Either way, I don't believe it would be of much help on mountain roads covered in snow and ice. What puts you in contact with road, are your tires. A good set of snow tires or chains, greatly improves traction.

I live in the Great Lakes area in the USA. Last winter I purchased a dedicated set of snow tires for my wife's car. The difference is night and day. The car is like a mountain goat on the snow. While driving with the snow tires on, I have made deliberate attempts, in a safe area, to get the car "out of control". It was very difficult to do.

With the standard street tires on (205/60-15 Bridgestone Turanza's), it's almost impossible to get the car to move in 4 inches of snow.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Thank you all for the TCS explanation. Well, I will buy snow chain instead of snow tire because of reduced needs (15 days)

Christophe

"GMdude" a écrit dans le message de news:K2Qkd.327938$wV.263272@attbi_s54...

Reply to
Christophe Salvaing

Your welcome Christophe,

Have fun skiing. I plan to go skiing this year also. I purchased new skis last year, and I'm looking forward to using them.

My brother has a vacation home in upper Michigan (North of Wisconsin, and close to Lake Superior). There are many good ski areas there.

Break a leg! GMdude

P.S. I don't want you to "truly" break a leg, It's just something you say in the States, when someone is going skiing. You are actually wishing them an enjoyable time.

Reply to
GMdude

:-))

It's swnowing since 2 weeks right now. Chamonix is more an alpinism resort rather than a skiing one. It's because mountains are very steep and very high (15 775 ft) :

it's very wild, and there are a lot of "off-piste" skiing placeI was in Colorado few years ago and I went to ski in Vail :
and lovely place too Christophe

"GMdude" a écrit dans le message de news:vmbld.80043$HA.14032@attbi_s01...

Reply to
Christophe Salvaing