Venture Van A/C problem

I have a 2002 Venture with low miles 31,000. Now that it is out of warranty on time (3 years) the A/C quit working. I checked the freon pressure and it is a little low, but when I try to add freon it doesn't seem to want to pull it in. The compressor pump is spinning (clutch engaged) but I noticed that the fans on the radiator are not turning. When I first turn it on the fans start to spin, then almost immediately stop. Do I have a bad compressor? Do these still have driers, and maybe it is plugged?

Reply to
Doug Adams

If you want to repair it yourself get an good manual and understand the system . This is not something you undertake lightly and hope for the best. You can get hurt**

Sal

Reply to
sal

Duh! Yes I do know a little something about air conditioners. I replaced several compressors, recharged about 40-50 units, etc. This one just kind of floors me because it acts like the compressor isn't working. I've owned this vehicle since new, it only has 30,000 miles on it. It worked just fine last year. I was just thinking maybe there is something else that may be wrong.

Reply to
Doug Adams

We have an '04 Venture. At about 40,000 miles our A/C stopped working too (or so we thought). We took it into the dealer. They said there was probably a control chip that went bad or something. They didn't mention the cabin filters inside the glove box. $150 later we found out all that needed changing were the filters. Had they told us to look there, we could have changed them ourselves and saved some money. Instead they ripped us off for a do-it-yourself repair and they haven't seen us since. Another dealer's gotten all our work since then. I don't know if you've checked the filters or not, just thought I'd share our experience with you, since obviously our compressor worked fine, just like you say yours is.

Reply to
Bartman

When our '02 Olds van A/C started acting strange it turned out to be a leaking evaporator. Replacement by the dealer cost me over $1000, which I was rather upset about. Since then the Olds was traded in on an Acura.

Reply to
John Horner