Very Strange Happining

OK..I gotta share this and maybe perhaps someone has either experienced this before, or may know a possible theory.
I drove my 2000 Monte Carlo LS all over this morning taking care of some
errands. Probably turned it off and on about 5 or six times in a two to three hour period. At my last stop before going home, I jumped in and the car would not start. No turn over, no click no nothing.....OK...I figured the heat (90 deg around here plus the driving) killed the battery. So I popped on the headlights and other accessories to see if it was dead. All worked fine. Then I thought maybe if the computer does not read fuel pressure, the car would not turn over. Stuck my head out the door and listened for the hum of the fuel pump. Got humm...no start......
Strange coincedence: Man parked right next to me has a brand new motorcycle....less than 1000 miles. WOULD NOT START!!! We both looked at each other thinking WTF is going on here....He decides to push his bike around and pop start it...I pop the hood on my car and check for any loose cables or wires...nothing..... I jump back in the car to close up the windows and thought one last try for kicks......The $@%!@#$ car started right up as if nothing was wrong....jump out of the car and the man on the bike approached with his running bike and stated that his just started out of the blue. He was coming back to see if I needed help. We both got the WTF look again....
Conspiracy theory: Electromagnetic pulse jamming equipment.........
Who knows..seems way too odd. Almost unbelievable if it were not for being completely sober.
This should pull some good stuff out of the wood work!!
Any thoughts?
Eightupman
It could be any number of things. I had a van once that when it got hot (usually after pulling the boat) would not engage. It would freeze up not letting the solenoid pull in to engage power to the motor. I just had someone hit the starter while I hit the started motor with the lug wrench. Worked every time until I changed the starter. If you have the original battery it could be going. I had one that blew the top off due to a bad internal connection. Diagnosing the problem with a voltmeter is the only way to tell for sure.
car started

being
Did ya scan the sky for UFO's ? LOL John "anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you" '01 FLHR ''Red" '04 MXZ 600ho '99 XC700 BRC mem
car started

being
Actually did spend a few minutes staring out into space with the WTF expression....what I thought I was going to see is still puzzling me,,,,
car started

the
out
the
Eightupman wrote in alt.autos.gm

When you turn off an engine, the water is no longer circulating, which means that the heat is no longer being removed from the engine. That heat has to go somewhere, so it heats up everything under the hood. When electric/electronic components start to fail, they will often times do it when they are exceedingly hot. And with the conditions you described it was exceedingly hot under the hood. When you opened the hood you let the heat escape, and the parts cooled down allowing you to start the car. What specifically went out? Hard to say, but I would suspect the starter/solenoid. If you are going to be driving under those conditions fairly often, you may want to carry a test light or meter, and when it happens check to see if you are getting voltage to the solenoid when the key is turned. If not, then look elsewhere, if you are getting voltage, and the engine does not start, then replace the starter. It's a gm so the solenoid is part of the starter. As far as the motorcycle? Same thing.
--
Dick #1349
Being as electronics is my career field, it makes PERFECT sense. Why I didn't apply it to the car....I blame it on the heat..LOL I do not normally drive all over like that, just had a bunch to do that day. I'll get me a starter and leave it in the trunk...next time it happens I'll be prepared. I've changed bigger parts than starters in parking lots...(did a clutch in a dormitory parking lot once...what great fun that was!!)

href="
Please do not post in HTML. Newsgroups should be plaintext.
** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Eightupman wrote in alt.autos.gm

I would prefer to find a nice cool spot to work on the car. But having been a tech myself for a while, and computer tester, I learned that one of the first things you look for heat related failure.
--
Dick #1349

Don't forget the number one tool: a creeper. It's very hard to get down under a car and move around without a creeper.
Actually I prefer a large smooth piece of corrugated cardboard. Creepers get stuck on pebbles and cracks and crap...unless of course it is wet for whatever reason.....then the creeper comes out...

Eightupman wrote:

Hi yet again...
I stumbled on a solution that may be worth considering...
Over here (Canada) we can buy sheets about 30 inches by 60 inches of corrugated plastic...
These are almost identical to corrugated cardboard, but last a long time, have infinite uses, and are reasonably inexpensive.
I always use one for a trunk "pad". If something should spill or drip, I can lift it out, wipe or hose it off, and put it back. I can get under the car if need be, wet or dry. I can kneel on it (knees are old, too :) if I have to change a tire or weed the garden at the lake. I can use it much like a small tarp if something needs covering.
I can put it on the car back seat if I have to carry dripping wet grandkids so as not to ruin the leather, or I can put it on wet boat seats so as not to ruin the grandkids :)
It's great stuff, highly recommend you try a sheet.
I get it at McDiarmid lumber, find it in the same area as they have sheets of (mottled?) plastic that might cover flourescent light fixtures.
For you 'mericans, your equivalent kinda store might be Rona or Home ??? - large do it yourself home improvement places. About 5 dollars cdn each, about 3.50 would be us dollar equal I think.
Just a thought, tryin' to help
Take care.
Ken my car on it wet or dry.
hummm, interesting....Lowes or Home Depot may carry such an item....Corregated Plastic.... I'll check on it.....THANKS!

Creepers
for