Vibe interior air filter

Just had a serious shock when I went in to the local Pontiac dealer to get a replacement ventilation filter element.

1" high, 8"x8" fan-fold filter element (looks v. similar to air cleaner elements, just smaller) - quoted price $76 (CDN) plus the usual taxes!!!

Might be a HEPA or something, but at that price it should protect me from EVERYTHING including dead-skunk smell.....

Anyone know of an alternative?

Reply to
Chris Moore

Take the air cleaner and vacuum it. It is only a paper element. If you are gentle you might try soap and water and let air dry.

Reply to
Tj

Why are you changing it?

Reply to
WhyDoYouAsk

Because it's 18 months old and filthy

Just had a serious shock when I went in to the local Pontiac dealer to get a replacement ventilation filter element.

1" high, 8"x8" fan-fold filter element (looks v. similar to air cleaner elements, just smaller) - quoted price $76 (CDN) plus the usual taxes!!!

Might be a HEPA or something, but at that price it should protect me from EVERYTHING including dead-skunk smell.....

Anyone know of an alternative?

Why are you changing it?

Reply to
Chris Moore

Chris, I replaced mine in my Bonneville at GM and you're right, it was really expensive. Have you checked with CTC, Walmart or some of the local Lube Shops to see if they sell them any cheaper? I watched a guy at GM install mine and they are easy to install if you can get one at a reasonable price somewhere else.

Reply to
Sting Ray

I cross-posted on the Toyota group (Matrix is identical), and had several messages that US prices were like $17 from dealer, possibly less at Pep Boys. Worth the trip to Buffalo one of these days I guess.

The Vibe/Matrix filter is REALLY easy to replace ....... except for the price (so far) ........ remove the glove box retaining strap (1 screw), drop the glove box and release the trap door directly behind it. Slide out the filter and replace ..... maybe I should just replace the element with 10 dollar bills .... probably filter just as well and MUCH cheaper....lol

Reply to
Chris Moore

*lol*@ 10 dollar bill comment! My filter is under the hood with a plastic cover that just flips open.
Reply to
Sting Ray

My dealer quoted about the same for my Buick Regal. I found it at the local Fleet Farm in Fram brand for 18.00. By the way, the new one is a dark color, (carbon impregnated) so don't let the dark color fool you into thinking it's dirty.

Reply to
John

Get a K&N for that kind of money. At least it's washable & reusable. 1 million mile warranty.

Reply to
Dan

I wouldn't pay $80 for filter. Get a furnace filter and cut it to fit. Unless you have sinus problems, don't put a filter back in. I have had cars for years with no filters.

Reply to
Tj