Vibration on Acceleration

I have a '96 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 3.4L V6. The past week or so I've been noticing a vibration when I step on the gas going down the road. It doesn't do it from a stop and I step on it, when I am cruising along and want to accelerate I feel this vibration that I can feel all the way through the steering. It comes and goes.

Can this be the transmission, drivetrain, loose motor mount? I am stumped.

Reply to
Nevell Lewis

I get the same thing in my '95 monte z34. Comes and goes. I was going to change my timing belt to see if that helps any. My tires have been balanced, brakes have been changed and tranny fluid/filter has been changed recently, so I checked those off as culprits.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Check the plug wires ohms when at hot temperature.

Reply to
Paul

I'm going to see if it does it when its "cold". Its just the strangest thing, the vibration it makes is like if you were going over highway rumble strips, but, the tachometer never jumps, I would assume it would with a miss or low ohms on the wires???

Reply to
Nevell Lewis

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Could be a cracked flex-plate. (cranking gear)

This happened to me several years ago. I went through all the suggested items that the other posters mentioned to no avail. I was sure that it was piston or connecting arm related until I tried to start the car up one morning and all that happened was that the starter was spinning. A doughnut size piece of metal broke off the flex-plate where the engine mount bolts were.

The flex-plate was only $46 but I had to pull the trans out to replace it.

2 days work in my home garage.

Hope this helps.

MIKE....

Reply to
Michael

Geoff,

Yes, a timing belt. This is the 3.4L dual overhead cam engine. It has a timing belt, not a chain.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

I believe the lower cam is a chain, the upper cam is a belt.

Reply to
Nevell Lewis