VIN decoder??

I have a VIN for a 2004 Chevy Express. I would like to decode it. The kind folks at a ford truck forum put one together for ford trucks. Someone must have done the same for chevy. I have been a ford guy but
we need a new van and like the awd feature of the express or savana.
Here is the obvious: * 1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured. For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z) * 2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A), BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B), Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V). * 3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division. * 4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc. * 9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit. * 10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T), 1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3) * 11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle. * 12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.
My question is about the 4th-8th characters. Does anyone know more about this? How do decode for example the engine?
Thanks, Jeff
| I have a VIN for a 2004 Chevy Express. I would like to decode it. The | kind folks at a ford truck forum put one together for ford trucks. | Someone must have done the same for chevy. I have been a ford guy but | we need a new van and like the awd feature of the express or savana.
<SNIP>
A yahoo search for "GM VIN decoder" returned this and others: http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/decoder.htm
--
Jarhead

Jarhead wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I did many searches and came up with nothing useful. That is why I came to USENET. This site was one of the useless ones I had previously found.
It only works (and I don't think it actually works, did you type a VIN and hit the decode button, I did and got nothing) for cars up to year 1995. This webpage was last updated in 1999. If you can enter the following VIN 1GBFH15T641153711 and get something useful for characters 4-8 then I please share with the world.
You might want to try some of your search results before you post semi smart ass replies. Not everyone on the internet is a newbie.
Jeff Nowak wrote:

1 - USA G - General Motors B - Incomplete Chassis F - 7000-8001 GVWR Hydraulic Brakes H - 4x2 Chassis Van 1 - 1500 5 - Van Body T - 5.3 Liter V8 w/SFI 6 - Check Digit 4 - 2004 1 - Oshawa Plant 153711 - Assembly number
From the VIN I'd say it was a cab/chassis unit sent to an upfitter for conversion.
--
Steve W.

Correct, cut away van chassis delivered to a custom body installer.

-

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/gmspo/brochures/2004VINCARDS.pdf
| Jarhead wrote: | > A yahoo search for "GM VIN decoder" returned this and others: | > http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/decoder.htm | | Thanks for the reply. I did many searches and came up with nothing | useful. That is why I came to USENET. This site was one of the useless | ones I had previously found. | | It only works (and I don't think it actually works, did you type a VIN | and hit the decode button, I did and got nothing) for cars up to year | 1995. This webpage was last updated in 1999. If you can enter the | following VIN 1GBFH15T641153711 and get something useful for characters | 4-8 then I please share with the world. | | You might want to try some of your search results before you post semi | smart ass replies. Not everyone on the internet is a newbie.
I guess I was lazy in not trying the link before posting it. Gee! I thought I was being helpful, and there isn't a smart ass bone in my body. But, I have added you to the kill file.
-- Jarhead
-
Here's a link to a GM VIN decoder,
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/gmspo/brochures/VINCARDS.pdf

And here's the links for the 2004/2005 models (the above link is for 2003):
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/gmspo/brochures/2004VINCARDS.pdf http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/gmspo/brochures/2005VINCARDS.pdf
I'd like to see some more of these from say, the mid-90's :)
-GV
GlassVial wrote:

I am collecting links like this to add to our site and make a more comprihensive site for users.
If you would like to know the name of the site please feel free to email me and I will send you the link to the site.
I dont feel like getting flamed for putting good content in a forum that self appointed net cops consider spamming.
Anyone know where to find a flyer like this for the 2001 GM lineup? Thanks!
.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/gmspo/brochures/2004VINCARDS.pdf