voltage regulator set-up

Have 1950 Olds, 6 volt system. Want to install an 8 volt battery to improve cranking speed.

How can I set up the voltage regulator to keep it charged?

Reply to
Marilyn Doyle

Mary I am very willing to impart a small wealth of accumulated knowledge from 37 years in business selling lead acid batteries. This used to come with the territory when selling 8-Volt batteries. If I remember correctly, the only stores that sell 8-Volt batteries are farm stores like Andersons, Quality Farm & Fleet, TSC Stores to name a few.

If your 50 Olds has a BCI Group 2 6-Volt, a Group 2 8-Volt is exact fit dimensionally. The Group 2 6-Volt measures 10 1/4" Long by 7" Wide and about

9" High to the top of post.

If your car has the BCI 2E which measures about 19 1/4" Long by 3 15/16" Wide by about 9" High there is no exact fit 8 Volt retrofit unless you obtain a battery tray for a BCI Group 2 and mount on a good flat level surface for a Grp 2 8-Volt.

Word of caution, before starting vehicle you will need to install voltage reducing resistors in the ignition circuit, lighting circuit, and accessory circuits to minimize burnout or a electrical malfunction.

The voltage reducing resistors limit the operating voltages as if the car still had a 6 volt battery and charging. The primary side of a 6 volt coil only needs about 4.8 volts. Otherwise the coil, points, or condenser could be damaged.

The resistance values I have forgotten. Don't give up yet, a few remaining auto electric shops still in business may know and could sell you those.

Next step is have the generator-regulator Voltage relay to 9.2 to 9.5 Volts and the Cutoff relay to 8.5 Volts by a qualified auto electric technician. You may be able to drive only a short distance.

Depending upon where you live, luck may be with you in finding someone qualified. One source may also be a auto restoration shop.

Reply to
Charge

wouldn't two 6-volts connected in parallel be better than replacing with an

8 volt? or will this ruin the asthetics?
Reply to
127.0.0.1