Vortec 4200 6 cyl sleeves

Talking to a fella today who runs an engine reman shop, was saying that almost every one he's torn down has loose cylinder liners. Anyone heard about this???? GM says this is one of the most tested and toughest
engines they have................. stuuder
"Stuuder" wrote in

There is a problem with the cylinder liners coming loose and/or cracking. We haven't actually had one do this in our shop yet, but apparently, there are something like 2000 vehicles across Canada that may need new engines as a result.
You don't actually believe what GM says about it's own engines, do you? Thank goodness that they are wrong about how good their stuff is, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep busy fixing all their f**k ups.
Ian
Thanks for the info, I was planning on stuffing one into my 53 Stude HT with the 4L60e trans. I did the 472 Cadillac -400 swap into my 55 so just want something different. Thanx again Stuuder
shiden_kai wrote:

how many 2.4 water pumps do you get, just out of curiosity?
yes, i have one, and yes, i do leak coolant. crossing fingers hoping it's a hose.
yofa - snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca
"Anonymous" wrote

We used to do a ton of them. But they seem to have improved the water pump in the later models. For your sake...I hope it's a hose too. Doing a water pump on a 2.4 engine is a major task.
Ian
considering all of the 4.2's out there, they do have a low failure rate, but when they fail, the fail nicely... the liner cracks at the top all the way around.. the lip that holds the liner in place is no longer attached so the liner slides down a little... maybe 1/8 of an inch... just enough for the top ring to fit in the gap.. this then breaks the top of the piston apart.. after a while the pieces of metal get into the valves and start an avalanche of broken metal, valves stuck open by metal meeting the piston coming up... sounds kinds neat, like a diesel with marbles.....the late 02, and 03 is supposed to have been redesigned for this so if you got a new engine, not a used one, you should be pretty good for a projec car

Found this at Alldata as well, thanks for all the info folks. Stuuder
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
1. 03019 JUN 03 Campaign - Cylinder Liner Cracking Warranty Extension