WAGONS

I saw a picture of the new TOYOTA VENZA in a magazine.

Curious, I looked up the specs at their website.

MY GOD !!..... they've invented "The Station Wagon" !

Remember station wagons ? They were the all American family hauler. And then, Detroit let them die.

Maybe we'll start to see station wagons again instead of SUV's and Soccer Vans......

Reply to
Anonymous

Not unless CAFE is radically overhauled.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh... I dunno..... TOYOTA puts a 4-banger in the base model.

I think it's a matter of education ( and fuel prices ) In the 1960's EVERYONE optioned a V-8. Couldn't imagine driving a car without it.

It would be interesting to see the ratio of 4's, 6's and 8's on the road today.

Reply to
Anonymous

Sure, I see your point. I think what the problem is is that the traditional American wagon was a full sized, RWD car, and as such could be used for light hauling and towing, etc. People who see the need for occasional hauling or towing now buy pickup trucks or SUVs because the full sized RWD platforms aren't available anymore.

I think that Ford, GM, et. al. don't really want to build a traditional wagon because they're afraid that they might actually be popular and therefore drive down their passenger car CAFE. Unless/ until CAFE is overhauled that light towing/hauling role will be filled by vehicles classified as "trucks" and the only wagons that we're likely to see are midsize or smaller ones like the imports are selling.

Now I don't know why the American manufacturers aren't trying to make headway into that segment... but then again BMW has repeatedly tried and given up, so maybe the demand just isn't there. The only well entrenched wagon I can think of off the top of my head would be the Subaru...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Toyota doesn't call the Vensa a Station Wagon. Toyota refers to the Vensa as a "Sedan." They call it's "twin" the Lexus RX, a crossover (just like the Ford Taurus X / Freestyle). Weird. I guess calling something a station wagon is death on the product.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It's like a game of rock, scissors, & paper. The station wagon could carry more than a sedan at the expense of a little loss in gas milage and performance. The minivan could carry more than the station wagon and gave the driver greater visibility. The SUV had more power than the minivan and could haul larger trailers with the advantage of 4WD. The crossover SUV increased the gas milage. And now the crossover SW has even better gas milage and performance.

Customers want acceleration, good gas milage, good handling, seating, cargo space, hauling ability, stopping ability, crashworthiness, and luxury in varying degrees. How many different vehicle types are needed?

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Its like a wagon pumped up with big wheels, or chopped minivan or suv, I like it but its a bit big for me. It will sell.

Reply to
ransley

I guess you have not looked at a Ford Flex, if that is what you believe ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Volvo calls their station wagons "sports wagons."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I remember that Chrysler came out with the Pacifica a few years ago. I've never been in one but the profile screams "STATION WAGON"

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

The Magnum seemed to me more in the mode of a traditional wagon. Oddly enough it seemed popular enough for a short time and then disappeared.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My Volvo wagon is one in handling and ride, and it doesnt take bumps or rough roads well.

Reply to
ransley

That has to do with the poor mileage and the poor visibility from within the car.

Cool looking car, though.

Reply to
Jeff

Well, the "poor mileage" goes along with the whole V8 power and RWD thing, which are useful for actual towing and hauling (nb: I have not actually looked up towing or cargo capacity specs for the Magnum to see how it compares with full sized cars of yore.) Still better than a typical full-sized SUV I'll bet, which is its current "equivalent." Certainly more stylish (to my eyes) and can't help but handle better too.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I got to drive one. WOW!

I like wagons and this is one sweet ride...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I wanted a station wagon. Actually I wanted a Corolla or Civic wagon. And not a Matrix.. A Matrix is not quite the same thing. It's more like a baby SUV, and I don't really care for it. It doesn't do as good on gas as a Corolla either. They used to make such an animal not too long ago, but it became extinct. I guess in the 90's or whenever..

I'm just glad the back seats fold down in the Corolla. While not being quite as good as a wagon, it helps quite a bit with hauling, etc. Heck, I sleep in the back of mine when I'm up at my land. With the seats down, I can stretch all the way out. My head will be behind the passenger side head rest/seat, and my feet will be at the end of the trunk by the drivers side tail light. :/ It's quite comfy being I use a foam mattress under me. I have a tent I can use up there, but I'm usually too lazy to put it up. It's easier to just sleep in the car, and no varmints can get to me either.. :/ And with the doors locked, any sneaky crooks, punks, etc will have trouble getting to me also. I'd hear them try to get in, and I'll just introduce them to my little friend that I sleep with. :+

Reply to
nm5k

Mr. Smith or Mr. Wesson or Mr. Glock, eh?

Reply to
Sharx35

I have a few, but I'm usually carrying my Swock.. Which is a Smith and Wesson Sigma "SW40VE" Which is a Glock clone. I bought that thing new for $299, and got a $50 rebate and two extra mags. So I have four mags total. "14x4+ one in the pipe=3D 57 rounds of .40 caliber kickass. :) Pretty good deal for $250.. And a lifetime warranty to boot if it ever flakes out. Some aren't crazy about the fairly stiff trigger, but it doesn't bother me. And it gets easier with use..

Here is a short clip of me killing a poor defenseless can with it up there.. Why did I kill the can? Because it was empty... :(

nm5k

Might come true if for CAFE purposes, light truck/light tow vehicles could only have one seat -- no more, 'four passenger' light trucks.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Seems the ONLY vehicles that can meet the new CAFE standards ARE motorcycles and even some of them can not meet the standard.

Reply to
Mike Hunter