*WARNING* Changing spark plugs on 2003 S-10 w/ 2.2L

Page 1 of 2
I've done mechanical work on cars since the mid-60's and have never come across such an engineering screwup as I did today.
I was attempting to install new spark plugs in my 2003 S-10 with the 2.2l
4 cyl.
On cylinder #3, counting from the front of the engine, the air conditioning mounting bracket overhangs the bore in the cylinder head for inserting the spark plug socket. If you tap the socket down past the bracket, like I did, removal is impossible with the plug removed and in the socket. Even reinserting the old plug I was unable to remove the socket. Thirty minutes of thinking and thrashing and cursing GM engineers, I was finally able to liberate my socket with judicious use of a cold chisel and hammer (After I discarded the idea of using the acetylene torch), and return my now 3 cylinder engine back to 4 cylinder operation, albeit with old plugs.
Obviously engineered by someone at GM who never worked on cars.
Jim
That is what a dealership means when they say in their ads. "We have all of the special tools needed to work on you vehicle."
A while back the FWD small Chryslers with the Mitsubishi V6 engine designed for use with RWD, one had to loosen the mounts and jack up the engine to change the filter. ;)
mike hunt

Remember the Chevrolet Monza? (Just after the Vega?!?!) IIRC, the ones w/v-8 engines needed the engine support on driver's side removed to get to the rear plug(s). s
There are most likely many more as well. ;)
mike hunt

Swivel socket = special tool?

Specifically?
Yes, specifically, the small Chryslers with the Mitsubishi V6 engine, ;)
mike hunt

How about you choose from this list;
Omni/Horizon Neon Shadow/Sundance Spirit/Acclaim/ Lebaron
Only the ones that used the Mitsubishi V6 engine.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Well, he did provide for that in the list. Spirit/Acclam/Lebaron....all used the Mitsubishi v-6 engine.
Ian

And that would be which of the four chassis groups listed?

C'mon Mr. Race car driver, you can do it.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Mike, I worked in a Chrysler dealership for years, and I worked on the Spirit/Acclaim line that came with the Mitsu v-6. Don't remember having to loosen the mounts and jack up the engine to change a filter. You probably talked to some mechanic who didn't know what the hell he was doing. Either that, or you didn't know what the hell you were doing when you tackled that particular vehicle.
Ian
Wrong cars
mike
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Ok, I also worked on the later line of cars with the Mitsu v-6 (smaller version then the 3.0 I believe)....same thing, don't recall having to jack up anything or remove any engine mount to get a filter off.
Ian
Having memory problems?
mike hunt

The question mark is an obvious typo.

Okay, the list is edited.

shiden_kai wrote:

The 3.3L in the minivans you had to unbolt the engine mount and pivot the engine forward to get it, that was documented in the repair manual I had for it. The first time I changed them I had to pull the plenum to replace the leaking valve cover gaskets so I got to them that way. Second time I was able to crawl under and replace from there.
Eugene Nine wrote:

Ok....hang on a second....what exactly are you talking about? Removing spark plugs, removing the oil filter....what? Clarify and then I'll tell you whether you have to pivot the engine forward to do any of the above (hint: you don't)
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Sorry, the spark plugs. And as I mentioned I found out that I didn't have to pivot the engine forward because I went from underneath once and has the intake off the other time so the "by the book method" was wrong.
I think it was stated to change a hard to access spark plug, not a filter.