warped rotors?

my mom has a 1992 olds toronado trofeo. the car ran/drove fine before she parked it due to a bad power steering pump. It sat for 3 months in spring/summer weather without being driven. We fixed the powersteering pump but now there is a severe pulsation in the brake pedal when coming to a stop and the car shakes violently. I changed the front rotors and cleaned up the back ones but this had no effect on the problem. Could 3 months of sitting have warped the back rotors? thanks in advance

Reply to
Amber

Did you put new pads on it?

Brent

Did you clean up the sliders and lube the pins?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wasnt sure if i needed to change the pads or not but i guess im gonna have to

Reply to
Amber

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
hls

You can tell if it's the rear (HOWEVER: I think new pads along w/new rotors on front will fix it.) by carefully applying the emergency brake to stop car. DO NOT apply them hard at much above 35 mpg, as the rear end will begin to skid. If they do not pulsate the car, it's the front ones troubling you. sam

Reply to
sdlomi2

It is fairly easy to see if your front discs (rotors) have a problem. Use a dial indicator on both sides and see if you are out of true..

Rear discs are the same.

If you are NOT out of true, either in thickness variation or in out of plane variation, then you have to look for something else.

Pulsation is reasonably well understood. but sometimes the novice will confuse buffeting, etc. for pulsation...

Measure your discs.. Find out what is going on. Dont just react with parts replacement.

Reply to
hls

well, i changed the pads on the front and still no difference so i went to the back and sure enough, the back rotors were shot. they were very visibly warped... guess i should have listened to my girlfriend in the first place when she told me to check the back! Thanks for the help guys

Reply to
Amber

DON'T ADMIT THAT TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!!!! You'll never live it down.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Just for reference in the future, if it's a problem in the back you will feel the vibration through the seat, if it's a problem with the front you will usually get a shaking in the steering wheel. Not always perfect but a good rule of thumb.

Brent