Warranty

Page 1 of 2
If they really wanted to put their money where their mouth is why not give a really good warranty, such as Huyundai's, to bolster their claims? 60 days is nothing. GM comes nowhere near Huyundai's warranty.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
--
Civis Romanus Sum

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:12:14 -0400, Jim Higgins fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

I had a Hyundai (Kia Sedona) from '01 to '06. It was a decent - if small - minivan.
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/17
We even took it offroad a bit while in Arizona.
What you don't read until after you buy the car is that the 5-year/60,000 mile warranty is only on the powertrain. The rest of the car - paint, body, seats - falls under a more standard 3/36 warranty.
I blew through 36,000 miles on that minivan in about 18 months. (My current car - an '06 Avalanche - is at almost 61,000 miles after only three years.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

I would have taken the 5/60 as covering everything but there are exceptions.
Current 5/60 warranty info from Hyundai's site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
5 YEAR / 60,000 MILES NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY Covers nearly every new vehicle component      Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated: - Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles - Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles - Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered) - Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / unlimited miles - Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles - Wear Items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g. belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)
--
Civis Romanus Sum

The powertrain is covered 10 years 100,000 miles
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx 10 YEAR / 100,000 MILES POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components.
Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).
Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
begin 666 tab_on.gif M1TE&.#EA+P`\`( ``$9&1NWM[2'Y! ``````+ `````O`#P```(^C(^IR^T/ MHYRTVHNSWKS[#X;B2);FB:;JRK;N"\?R3-?VC>?ZSO?^#PP*AT0A( 9(OI+,-%O-9C$JGU*JU5P``.P`` ` end
The very first thing I would do to address quality/design issues at GM would be to institute a mandatory program that all engineering and manufacturing managers would have to drive GM cars with more than 100K miles to work daily. I might even have the company reimburse the employees for the used car purchase, but they would have to experience the results of the design shortcuts, poor workmanship, unnecessary electronic overhead, and crappy suppliers first hand to understand why their cars have such a bad reputation.
I bet that would get some managers eyes opened.

The very first thing I would do to address quality/design issues at GM would be to institute a mandatory program that all engineering and manufacturing managers would have to drive GM cars with more than 100K miles to work daily.
I bet that would get some managers eyes opened.
The J D Powers quality survey seems to be a big advertising gimmick that many companies use. The "initial quality" survey and high standing is very important, but, long life is even more important to many of us. If you trade every three years and 36,000 miles, GM build very good cars, as do all the others.
More and more people are keeping cars longer and communing longer distances. Not so uncommon to put 100 to 150k miles or more these days. Sure, anything mechanical will eventually wear out and break, but the frequency that it happens and the cost to fix it becomes very important. That also affects resale value as the second buyer's expectations are considered. .

People will eventually go for the longivity if the price is eavn near equal. Simple reasons include TCO, a car that lasts longer costs less in capitalization and has a better resale value. For example, if you bought a Old Firenza, by 5 years it's resale tanked to almost nothing. If you had a Toyota, you might have gotten 1/2 the value back on resale, or better, drive it for another 5 years without needing to buy a new one.
And with peoples credit lines closing from excessive debt, they will one way or another be more savvy shoppers at the end of the day and those who are car poor and cannot buy more. No doubt the next 5 years is going to be a very competative market that GM is ill equiped to handle.
That may be your convoluted opinion but how many times must you be reminded that GM still sells more vehicles in the US than any other manufacture?

I do not own a GM or General Motors vehicle, dummy

But, but, but you said I was a GM guy. LOL

That may be your opinion but that company no longer exists, dummy

You are right about looking at the difference in the cost of repairs (shop rates) and the cost of parts.
That is something Toyota buyers should look at very closely before they pay 20% to 30% more to buy a Toyota that will need their, more expensive parts and repairs, just like all other brands
Since I switched to domestics from import brands in 1999 I have save hundreds of dollars in just preventive maintenance costs alone
My Lincoln dealers shop rate in $30 a hour LESS than I was paying at the Lexus dealership

Do you live in a cave? GM current vehicles are highly rated by the buff mags and buyers. The fact is GM makes more vehicle that get higher MPG than many of their competitors like Toyota and Honda.

That may be your opinion but GM no longer makes the same models that were sold by General Motors five years ago, dummy

The very first thing I would do to address quality/design issues at GM would be to institute a mandatory program that all engineering and manufacturing managers would have to drive GM cars with more than 100K miles to work daily. I might even have the company reimburse the employees for the used car purchase, but they would have to experience the results of the design shortcuts, poor workmanship, unnecessary electronic overhead, and crappy suppliers first hand to understand why their cars have such a bad reputation.
I bet that would get some managers eyes opened.
You'd be putting the wrong people in the seats of those cars. It's the Accounting department that needs to drive those cars so they can see the effect of cost cutting mandates imposed on engineering departments - which they don't understand at all.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net