Was supposed to be an Impala rental report... Camry rental report

Page 3 of 3
What specific rule of etiquette are you referring to?

You're a troll!
First time I've been accused of that, to my face anyway! :-)

What year is your Bonneville, just curious? To my knowledge the Bonnevilles don't utilize parking lights for DRL. The low beam at low intensity for 96-99, the high beam at low intensity on the 2000-03, not sure about 04's or the GXP. -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE

I've got an '02 SLE. The inner reflectors used for DRL are also used for the parking lights. The high-beams are in the outer reflectors along with the low-beams.
You had mentioned in a previous post that your DRLs are the turn signal type but that they "appear" similar to low beam headlamps. That implies that the light they produce is white in color. Question...are there two bulbs contained within each of the turn signal/parking lamp reflector housings? The parking lamp/turn signal bulb is a two-filiment typically amber-colored bulb (from the factory), so it couldn't produce white light. The only way I can see that a turn signal DRL could produce white light is if. 1. It was outfitted with clear lamps, which would also make the turn signals and parking lights produce white light as well. Or, 2. there are two separate lamps contained within the reflector housing, one clear (for the DRL) and one amber coated (for the park/turn). Just curious, how is yours set up?

Not all cars use the tunr signals as parking lights...
That didn't answer the question. In either case they would be amber in color.
Neo, I'm not understanding what you are saying. What are the inner reflectors? The high beams are the DRL's. The high beams are placed in series electrically with each other when in DRL mode, it has nothing to do with the parking lights. -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE

The Bonneville has 4 reflectors, 2 closer to the grill, 2 beside the turn signals:
http://geocities.com/evandro/images/cars/BonnevilleFront.jpg

| | > Neo, I'm not understanding what you are saying. What are the inner | > reflectors? | | The Bonneville has 4 reflectors, 2 closer to the grill, 2 beside the | turn signals:
http://geocities.com/evandro/images/cars/BonnevilleFront.jpg
| | > The high beams are the DRL's. The high beams are placed in | > series electrically with each other when in DRL mode, it has nothing to do | > with the parking lights.
I hate to tell you this...your DRLs are the high beams.
Forget about reflectors, grills, inners, outers, parking lights, and all that. The high beams also function as daytime running lights. When you take the car out of "park" then drive away, the high beams are illuminated at low brilliance. The DRL relay (ambient light sensor detecting daylight) when picked up, places the high beams in series (voltage dropping) to dim the high beams, that's it. Unless you've done modifications to your lighting controls ? -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE

| 100W / (746W/HP) is closer to 1/7 or 1/8 HP for a pair of 50W DRLs. | | Where are you getting 1 or 2 HP for a car to idle? I would think 10-20 | HP would be more realistic. But that is just a wild guess. Aren't you | turning the water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, alternator, maybe a fan? | I'm just talking out loud - I really don't know the answer.
Heck I used to drive VW's back in the 60's that had 1300cc engines with only a total of 35 horsepower and could still run those puppies up to 75-80MPH...although it took all day to get it there and going down hill helped. :-) Somebody here probably knows, but I doubt seriously that a engine would require anything close to 10HP just to idle...even to drive the water pump. Fuel pumps and fans are usually electric these days...so the drain they cause would be "felt" in the HP needed to "turn" the alternator. If you have a well at your house...what HP electric motor is used to pump your well water? what HP electric motor is used to run the bower on your home furnace? Likely under 1HP each....barely over 1HP for both, I'd bet
| | Side note: I like it when other cars facing me have DRLs when on shady | tree lined streets in the daytime. It lets me differentiate them from | parked cars. |
Here is a tip. The cars that are moving are the ones that are not parked. If you can see the parked ones when they don't have their lights on, you can surely see the the moving ones without lights too. At least I can.
Fractional HP motors, most are less than one horse. -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE

Exactly...