Wax On Wax Off

Lot of aches & pains & sore joints.

Well after 5 hours Sunday and 2 more hours on Monday I finished waxing the car. Bigger car takes longer - I forgot about that. Did inside the doors and door jambs and the trunk water channel.

I also pulled the tail lights & grille to get in the hard to reach area's. Also pulled the rubber weatherstrips off the bottoms of the four doors. Five screws hold each strip them on. They seal against the rocker panel when the doors are closed and cover the bottom inch of the door.

I used Mother's Carnuba Wax this time. No, no, not my mother's wax " Mother's " brand car wax. LOL

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Harryface, you're a brute for punishment. I hope that you don't go to this extreme every time you wax your new ride! Oh . . . and don't forget to give your mom her wax back. ;-)

Reply to
StingRay

Sting Ray,

The reason I pulled the strips off the bottom of the doors I'm worried this might be an area prone to rust as the car ages. But after removing the weather strips I see that the bottom of the door does not have a pinch seam like most doors. The outer door skin and the inner door metal are open the full length of the four doors. There are wedge shape blocks inside the rubber weather strip that spreads the two halves of the door apart when they are installed. I will monitor the situation over time. I know a couple with a 97 Park Ave with 70,000 miles and all four doors are rusted along the bottom edge.

The reason for pulling the grille & tail lights was to look for evideence of body work - there was none - plus I wanted to check the caulked body seams where the tail lights fit into.

The only thing I didn't wax was the front bumper - the clear coat is peeling off and need to be re done.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

The clear-coat is peeling off on a '05 vehicle?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Whew! I knew there had to be a plausible explanation for dismantling the car and waxing those hard-to-reach places. Although, I must admit that I've taken the tail lights out of my '63 StingRay to remove the lint from my polishing cloth. I was worried that you had taken the art of waxing and polishing to a new extreme! ;-)

Reply to
StingRay

My first post disappeared, so I'll try again. My apologies if I double-post.

Whew! I knew there had to be a plausible explanation for dismantling the car and waxing those hard-to-reach places. Although, I must admit that I've taken the tail lights out of my '63 StingRay to remove the lint from my polishing cloth. I was worried that you had taken the art of waxing and polishing to a new extreme! ;-)

Reply to
StingRay

No, no. If you want extremes, go to the BMW newsgroup - where they brag about putting wax on with their bare fingers and such.

-=Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

JCR

Caveat Empour - Let the buyer beware!

The bumper had work done to it prior to me buying it.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Ah, that makes sense.

Reply to