Weird problem w 2003 Chevy 2500HD PU

Hi... Truck was running beautifully... than , all of a sudden it just started sputtering and died. I'm totally puzzled by this [ electrical problem ?]. Tried restarting it several times , sometimes it will run very
slowly and weakly for 5 or 6 seconds... tach jumping all over the place, than die. Just to be sure of eliminating a bad fuel gauge problem, I put in another 10 gallons of gas. This has got me completely stumped.. any ideas ? thanks...... Kevin Davis
Greetings,
If you want to eliminate the possibility of bad fuel, you also need to drain the fuel/water seperator and install a new fuel filter. Just putting in more fuel won't eliminate the problem. In fact, if you picked up a very large bunch of trash in your last fill up you may even want to get the tank pumped out as well. You could draw some out of the tank and take a look at it to see if it has a load of dirt or algea in it.
Is your service engine soon light on? If it is (or even if not) you should have your computer hooked up to a scan tool and see what trouble codes are stored.
Let us know what happens.
Cheers - Jonathan

The problem turned out to be a bad fuel pump module, they also replaced the sending unit on the module, while they had already dropped the tank, because I, previous to this problem, had a freak [ 1 time occurrence ] situation where the fuel gauge read half full , when I had actually run completely out of gas at the time. I was told that they have had many problems with this particular fuel pump, ,and that they weren't real satisfied with the company that they source the unit from. My 3 years is up in March, and I'm now thinking about getting the extended warranty.... @ 2 grand; ouch !!!!! Kevin Davis
I just had the same problem w/ a customers 02 GMC 3500 van. To make a long story short... The right side catalytic converter broke up and clogged the muffler. Hook up a scan tool and check for "cylinder misfire", if you find that 1/2 of the engine is misfiring disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold and start it. If it runs ok then remove that pipe and check for cat guts in the muffler.
--
Bruce
Westminster, Md