Weird problem with my 1992 Saturn

When I?m driving and come to a stop, the RPMs on my car take a very significant dip when I put the clutch and brake down. Sometimes, when I make a stop, the RPMs dip so low that it actually causes the engine to shut off. This makes for some frustrating drives in parking lots and parking decks, in which I often find myself having to re-crank my car after each sudden braking and whatnot. Now, this problem is inconsistent, mind you. Some days, I have absolutely no problems, but other days, I find myself having to restart my car at almost every stop sign or red light. Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this? I?ve had my dad check it out a few times, and we?ve tried a number of things, including a new fuel filter. The fact that the problem isn?t always present makes it difficult to have it looked at by a mechanic. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
madcow1515