Weird start condition 89 buick park ave

Here's the basics on the car

89 park ave lots o' miles (170,000+) on original engine and trans (knock on wood they don't die) fairly well maintained 3800 engine (of course)

When the engine is cold, the car starts without fail, no problems at all.

When the engine is warm or hot, the first crank will NOT start the car. I've let it crank for 15 seconds, and nothing. BUT...

If I crank it (even for a second), stop and crank it again, it'll start right away. every once in a while though, it'll "bog out" on the first revolution (almost like a dead battery, but it's not), but if I hold the key, it'll pick right up after the first revolution and start no problem. It

*almost* sounds like a 70s muscle car with WAAAAYYY too much compression turning over on the first revolution.

It's not a huge issue right now, but when it gets colder (up here in Canada) I want to be able to use my auto-start more often, and I don't like the idea of the auto-start cranking away on a fairly warm engine for 15 seconds, then restarting, everytime. sounds rough on the starter to me.

Reply to
Tony

Cam sensor is a possibility - not too familiar with this setup, but if it can't determine the cam position, it may not want to start..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

To be more precise, it will fire more or less randomly.

This is simmilar to wiring up your spark plus wires randomly. Good luck starting.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

It starts perfectly though, just not on the first try, when warm....

Reply to
Tony

Cam & crank sensors can fail intermittently, often temperature-dependent..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

i just purchased a 89' buick identical to Tony's...except with 180K miles.....did you ever get this problem fixed....mine does the same thing?? did the cam sensor fix it?

Thanks for all your help. Chad

Reply to
chadwick197825