Weird symptoms, Transmision problem? I know NOTHING!

Hi there! Thanks for reading! As I said up top, I know nothing about cars...

I have a 90 Chevy Corsica. On a trip up the freeway one day, on a freeway I?d never driven before with a little bit of an incline, I realized that I was having to puch down the accelerator quite a bit to get up to 65, in fact, I pretty much had to floor it.

That was a few weeks ago, it didnt seem a problem after... but now...

  1. I?ve noticed that the car seems REALLY loud, much louder than normal.

  1. I still have to press down on the accelerator quite a bit to get it up to 65. In fact, it just seems I have to press down on the accelerator a lot more than usual, which of course makes the car louder...

  2. The car has always lurched a bit between gears (It?s an automatic, but you car guys probably allready knew that) but it seems more pronounced now.

I dont know what to do! I still have 3 days of work, and I was hoping to get it looked at on my days off, but if it?s urgent maybe I should see if I can?t get it in tommorow...

Please help! Thank you so much for your knowledge!

Reply to
Balth

Start by checking transmission fluid, sounds low to me. A fluid / filter change would be wize at this point, if you ran the trans low on fluid, you probably burned the little remaining, and a fluid change would be mandatory.

Reply to
451CTDS

If it's really loud, it could be a cracked exhaust manifold. This happened to me on two of my old cars - and it messed up the O2 sensor(sensor screwed into the manifold), which made the engine run very poorly, like having a dead MAF. It also was a lot louder all the time, like a failing muffler.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I'd look for exhaust leaks. Muffler, pipes, flanges, gaskets, etc.

Steve

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Steve Mackie

Going out today to check the transmission fuel, (After reading a primer on how to do so online) while idling the car, as I was told I have to do so to properly check transmission fluid, I realzed that the rediculously loud sound was indeed not coming from the front of the car, but from the back!

After using scooby-doo taught logic, I realized nothing was coming out of the exhaust pipe, and fter crouching down for a closer look, found a big ol? crack in the muffler, at least I think thats what it is, cuz it?s not a pipe, its more of boxish thing.

Oh yeah, and the trans fluid seems to be fine, red and inside the little markers on the stick.

Reply to
Balth

sounds like the catalic converter is plugged or the muffler is

Reply to
MegroeG