What do you love about driving???

Page 2 of 3

I stll remember my trip from Mpls out to Bosston in 1976. We took US 20 rather than pay the tolls. Took 22 hours to go 1600 miles, but we saw a lot more of the country than we would've on the Tollways.
Highlights were cruising thru Cleveland, down the main drag, at 70 mph at 2 am. (just like everyone else, including the cops) and of course a blink or you'll miss it run thru Fredonia, NY....

Tell me about it...
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
Phillip asked : Is it like high speed mornings, low speed nights or something?
Must of just been those particular cars at that time.
Chicago's Interstate System is probably the biggest abuse of the 55 mph speed limit.
I've driven through WY,MT,SD, KS, AK,CO,NE,IA,MN, WI, IN,OH, KY,TN, GA,FL, IN,OH,PA,MI, NY,NJ, NC,SC,LA,MS,VT,ME,NH and other states that have a 65 or 70 mph sped limit and its rare that you have a constant flow of traffic doing 25 to 35 mph over the speed limit. But in areas that are 55 mph people tend to drive 25 to 30 mph over the 55 limit..
If I - 80 going running just below Cleveland can be 65 mph then I - 94 that's close to 25 miles west of Chicago can be 65.
Last time I went up north traffic was running a high 80 & no Police in sight.
Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Thats why we call people driving in Wisconsin with Illnois plates F##$'ing Illnois Bastards! They drive like maniacs!
LOLOLOL

Dennis Smith
says...

Today I was going from Milwaukee to Cudahy to pick up my cousin from school and no one in Milwaukee does the speed limit...well...a few people do but they tend to be seniors...and there was a 9-5 that was doing the speed limit. I also remember going upnorth for deer hunting about 4 years ago and this one Illinois Suburban passed us, we passed him, he passed us again, we passed him again (we were going a steady speed too...) back and forth for like an hour and we were going about 80 mph. Have you noticed our average highway speed is going up?
says...

Yeah. I try to avoid the highway when I'm driving my '71 T/A. I have a hard time keeping up spinning the 455 HO past 4,000 RPM and sucking down a gallon of gas every 8-12 miles. I used up 4.5 gallons just driving from Madison to Oconomowoc!
Dennis Smith

But isn't the point of a TA with the 455 to drive fast? Don't matter what the mpg is when yer wailing at cruisin power...
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
Dennis Smith wrote : Thats why we call people in Wisconsin driving with Illinois licesne plates F@#king Illinois Bastards.
So that's what FIB stands for ! Chicago Tribune had an article about 2 months ago about driving around IL- WI border and different pet peves and gripes between the two states and FIB was mentioned as what WI people refer to us as, now I know what FIB stands for......thanks you tellin me yougoddamn cheese head........
LOL
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Illinois Bastards.

Now I'm curious. What're some of the gripes IL drivers have with WI drivers?
Yes, people turning into whatever lane they please really gets me too. I ALWAYS turn to the nearst and signal and move to the next.
Oh, and not using turn signals. Even in turning lanes it's the law here. As probably most anywhere.
I lived in Wisconsin once. Oh man, I'm sorry about that gas tax too. It was terrible!!!
The last couple years, I've made trips to Dallas. Dallas, and Oklahoma City never bothered me. It was crowded, and traffic more aggressive, but peole knew what they were doing. It was Kansas City and Kansas in general that got me. Good grief!! Seemed like if they weren't just stupid, they had to make an effort at least to piss you off. I'm not really trying to generalize Kansas, so don't take offfense anyone from there. But has been my driving experience all times that I've passed through.
Tony
Yeah I hear ya. Another one that gets to me is the person who tries to be nice, but only ends up being stupid. The thing I'm talking about is when you have 2 (or more I suppose) lanes going one direction. There is someone from the oncoming over to the left wanting to turn left across your lanes. Then you get this good samaritan idiot who decides that they are going to "authorize" the turning person to come on across. They never freaking bother to consider that there is another lane (or lanes) which have no such knowledge of this grand plan. And remember, because of angles involved and the possible traffic backed up behind the friendly idiot, it is often difficult or impossible for the turning person from the other way to see the cars that are heading full speed ahead in the lanes, and visa-versa.
I once almost ended up taking a dirt nap due to one of these geniuses. I was driving a motor cycle along in the right lane of the two lanes going in my direction. There was an intersection ahead, maybe half a block, with a red light. My lane was pretty much clear up to the intersection where there were just about 2 cars waiting at the light. The left lane had a fairly long line of cars backed up. This is a completely normal sight to see as you approach this intersection when it is red, because the left lane is left turn only at the intersection, and that's the way to the mall. Anyway I'm just coasting down from about 25mph (realizing a little ways ahead I will be stopped at a red light) when my brain senses something is wrong with the picture. In split second timing, my brain notices that there is a gap of about 1 car length or so in the line of cars sitting. Now keep in mind this was not noticeable until almost being upon it, due to the angles of vision involved. Instinctively I my right hand and foot begin applying the brakes. And good thing too because in the next fraction of the second a lady is turning across my lane right in front of me, trying to get into a driveway which enters a bank parking lot! No antilock brakes on my two wheel ride, and I end up locking up the brakes. My rear end begins to slide out from the back and come forward on the right hand side. The startled lady who was turning in front of me stopped her car (right across my lane blocking the entire thing). I came to a stop literally just inches from her car with my bike parallel to her car and perpendicular to my lane. I'm in a position to look right at the do-gooder genius who almost got me killed. But I'm too full of adrenaline to speak or communicate. Then the lady goes into the bank, and the idiot and the rest of the line of cars start moving because the light turned green. Normally I would be pretty pissed off after something like that, but I just pulled myself together, drove on and was glad to be alive.
Had that stunt been pulled with the light just turned green, I would not have been already slowing down and would have hit; and done so at higher speed. Like I said, very possibly resulting in a dirt nap or at the very least, some delectable collection of serious injuries which I could have savored for weeks. All thanks to the well meaning ignoramus who has no respect for the rules of the road.
Moral of the story I guess is; respect the rules of the road. Do not disregard them neither for selfish or even altruistic reasons. The rules of the road are to keep us safe.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:06:50 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Tony V.) wrote:

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
foolspicedham_melbo snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I wonder if you could of got them for leaving the scene of an accident? I'm planning on getting my motorcycle licence one day, already have a cdl and one thing I have learned is that 4 wheelers dont see 2 or 18 wheelers at all. At least with a semi they'll regret not noticing you...
foolspicedham_melbo snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'm talking interstate, not city roads and a person can do the speed limit in the lane or lanes to the right just as well. Speaking of stuff that tick us off, moronic motorcyclist that think they can create lanes burn me up.

Not that I was really thinking along those lines back at the time, but now thinking about it I think probably not. Technically an accident didn't happen. It is what is called a near miss. Probably thoe only thing that could have been done would have been to cite the woman turning acros mty lane for failure to yeild right of way or something. The genius who gave her the "permission" to do it probably isn't citable for anything. On the other hand, had I been injured the genius might have been able to be sued but it's hard to say. The person was trying to do something nice for someone but it's still dangerous to deviate from ther traffic rules.
** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Failing that we can both pick on Iwoa drivers.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:19:01 -0600, "Phillip Schmid"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

I've been calling you a FIB for years. Didn't you notice? :-)
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Dennis Smith

I remember going thru and past the WI/IL tollway it picked up from ~70 on the WI side to like 80 on the IL side. I don't mind going with traffic :P
Bob, see what you started! LOL ...please tell us what speed your going while hangin out in the left lane. Here In Ontario if you doing under 125km hr/ 75mph your the bad guy and not only can be fined for holding up traffic we'll curse you till the cows come home! I love to see this happen when a cop pulls you over for holding the traffic back in the passing lane.
bob shiply wrote in alt.autos.gm

Several years ago I spent 3 weeks in Pennsylvania. And while there, I learned that Penn drivers hate to have someone in front of them in the same lane. No matter how far ahead of them you are, and no matter how fast you are going, if they can see your tail lights they will speed up and pass you. After I got back to Seattle, I was called out to work at 3 in the AM. I was driving down a 6 lane street in the center lane. Behind me about 3 blocks was a set of headlights. We stayed in the same relative positions for a couple of miles, nobody else on the road. I was coming up on a right turn so I checked to make sure the lane was clear, and the car was still way back. I changed lanes, looked in my mirror and here comes the car, doing about 60 in a 35 zone. I thought to myself, must be from Pennsylvania. Sure enough, he passed me, then pulled in front of me and slowed to the speed limit. Giving me a good view of his Pennsylvania plates. I shook my head, and made my right turn. I have seen this same behavior a few times since, usually a car with Pennsylvania plates. What is with that?
--
Dick #1349
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

only when theres other people on the road and in my way, otherwise I'm just fine.
SgtSilicon wrote in alt.autos.gm

In Washington State there are signs all over the freeways telling you to pull off to the side if you have a fenderbender. And one day an accident happened right in front of the only driveway into our apartment complex, blocking the whole thing. Nobody could get in or out. It was a very minor fenderbender, not even any broken glass. I asked the drivers to move their cars off the street and to the side of the driveway so everybody could go on their way. They at first said no, because they did not want to leave the scene of an accident. Finally they did pull over, and the traffic jam disappeared. The police had no problem with it, either. Minor accident, no injuries, pull over. If there are injuries, or if one of the cars is undriveable, then leave the cars where they sit.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.