What does GM have to go toe to toe with this??

Page 1 of 6
Wanna know why GM is hurting? Because they have no styling. GM doesnt even have anything to go toe to toe with this car in styling or performance. C'mon GM lets get rolling. A Nissan Altima...yes a Nissan Altima and GM cant
even beat this in style or performance. 270 HP out of a 3.5 L compared to GMs 3.9 struggling to put out 250hp.
http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/gallery.html

Styling is in the eye of the beholder. I don't care much for that Nissan at all. Exterior is boring, and the interior isn't all that great either. When I get in my '96 (yes, a 1996) Bonnie, it feels like I am in the cockpit of a fighter jet. It will also go like a bat out of hell.

You like performance? Take a look at the GTO, the Grand Prix or the (no longer made) Bonnie's. Damned fine looking cars, and they will move with the best of them. But, like I said, styling is personal preference. Some people can look at a Ferrari and vomit, while others will look at a Yugo and think it's as good as gold.

even
at
When
the
people
think
Don't get me wrong I am not crazy about the Altima styling though they are on the right track compared to previous models...yet it still looks better than anything that GM is offering currently in that class. The sad truth is that GM styling sucks. If GM had stayed with the original prototype G6 styling they would have one heck of a nice looking car but they strayed from the original style and ended up with mediocrity.

I disagree. I was just looking at a G6 Convertible the other day, and it looked like a damned nice car to me.

with
are
better
strayed
Yes the convertible is not bad as long as you have the top up. They should have used that body for the coupe as compared to that boy racer wannebee look.

I think the convertible looks good with the top down as well, but I will agree that the base coupe looks terrible. Theres just something I don't like about it.
Perhaps you might want to compare the torque rating for both. The Japanese have a tendency to spin their engine rather wildly to obtain HP fro advertising purposes. In doing so the torque drops off. I is torque that gets you going a keeps you going on grades. That is why most Japanese cars are the first cars to die on hills. The Camrys one sees on the road are slugs. The reason is, eight our of ten sold in the US have only 4 cy engine..
mike

"Mike Hunter" proves yet again that he has never actually driven a Camry... I'd far rather have a 4 cyl Camry (with available 5-speed no less!) than the sluggish, automatic-only 3.4 V-6 Impala.... yes I have been in both and the Camry is a better car in every respect.
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

No offence Nate, but I have a couple of relatives who own Impala's, and they love them. One has the 3.4 (a 2003, if memory serves), and one the 3.8 (a 2000 with high KM's, if memory serves). Neither has complained about any mechanical problems, and the one who owns the 3.4 version is a GM mechanic at a dealership. We also use the Impala's with the 3.8 down here as Police cars, not to mention building them at our local GM (Oshawa) plant. Maybe you just happened to get a lemon? As for the cars themselves, I have driven the 3.4 Impala, and it seemed to move quite well. Not as well as the 3.8, but that is to be expected.

Maybe I am spoiled (by what? my 20 year old German cars?) but my '05 with a 3.4 is a loud, coarse, unrefined slug. I sound like I'm racing just driving around, it has to drop two gears to get anything resembling acceleration.
Compare and contrast with a 4-cylinder Camry and the Camry wins, hands down, plus it is so much less frustrating to have a manual transmission than a badly programmed automatic (OK, well, maybe not BADLY programmed, but programmed with fuel economy numbers as its ONLY priority)
nate
80 Knight wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

performance.
GM

I drove a 2002 or 3 grandam GT with the 3.4 and the car kicked ass when yiu stepped into it. I actually enjoyed flooring it when I was alone on an empty stretch of road. So I definatly would not call it a slug.

Likewise, I've never considered my 3.4L to sound loud at all. I have to wonder just what nate is referring to when he says that.

manual,
are
I've often thought that I'd love to have a manual tranny in my '03 Grand Am. The car is fun to drive and just begs for a good manual tranny to turn loose the hp.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My sister's Grand Am is the same year. It's a quick little car, but, unfortunatley, I haven't seen too many with manual transmissions. I think they used them more in the Alero's (which is, as you know, the Grand Am's twin). I remember the first time I saw one of the newly styled Grand Am's was in "Lethal Weapon 4". Mel Gibson and Danny Glover actually got in a huge chase scene with one, and even jumped it through a building. They destroyed the car, but I liked them ever since.

The '05 Impalla 3.4L was not even close to my '95 Chrysler 3.3L LH in responsiveness and handling, particularly in hilly driving. In fact I found that Impalla a pain to drive. The auto transmission seemed very low tech compared to that in my 11 yr older Chrysler. It did have better highway fuel mileage, but the same in urban driving. I wouldn't do a straight trade. >:)
Obviously you are entitled to you own opinion but apparently you do not live in a mountainous part of the county if you really believe that ;)
mike

Obviously you are an idiot and have never driven a 4-cylinder Camry. It is much more pleasant to drive than a 3.4 Impala and FEELS LIKE IT HAS MORE POWER. Jeez, I could put a "GM Mark of Excrement" badge on my feces and you'd tell me it was better than a Toyota just because it said GM on it.
Of course, GM could at least meet me halfway and offer a manual transmission, but no...
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

I've had that Impalla as a rental. It has an extremely high top gear, resists down shifting and as a result is a pain to drive. It needs at least a 6sp, but GM obviously finds that too expensive.
The 4 cyl Camry would be OK in urban driving or on flat highways. Certainly not in hilly country when fully loaded.
Some O wrote:

You didn't drive the one I have then. It downshifts at any hint of requesting acceleration - making the accelerator pedal basically a binary input. You can feather on the gas to keep it from downshifting, but it won't accelerate AT ALL... give it a little more gas and suddenly you've dropped two gears and the engine is screaming. It also has a nasty habit of unlocking the torque converter the second you let off the gas, meaning attempting to hold a constant speed on a somewhat hilly road means that the TC is constantly locking and unlocking. A pain to drive, but in a different way than you describe.

I dunno, a friend of mine owns one, with a 5-speed - it certainly doesn't feel underpowered, and the engine is less thrashy and intrusive than the Impala.
nate