What does GM have to go toe to toe with this??

I own a 2002 BUICK Century. It's a superb road car. Form, fit, and finish are perfect.

So what did GM do when they finally "got it right" ? THEY STOPPED MAKING THAT MODEL ! ????

Reply to
Anonymous

Now, *that* I can agree with. I have owned (including my current one) 4 Bonneville's, and loved all of them. I was pissed off big time when GM stopped making them.

Reply to
80 Knight

How many miles?

I loved my 2001 LeSabre when I first got it, but after a couple of years it started to fall apart. No help from the skimpy warranty either, especially after putting on 25k a year you don't get any time for even non-moving parts. I have windows propped closed with sticks of wood, I have switches jammed in the on position with toothpicks, I have some rather expensive repair bills for transmissions and wheel bearings.

This is the stuff I'd have expected from a Yugo, or a car from the 1940's, not a new model with some otherwise good engineering. Buick did not earn my loyalty on this one, they just pissed me off. I was a GM fan for many years until I got this car. Yes, I contacted Buick. They suggested I guy a new car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

IF the government really gets serious about fuel self sufficiency and environmental concerns, I think we will all be seeing a new game.

But our government getting serious about anything is a joke.

Reply to
<HLS

Did you and Nate get you're cars from the same place? :-P

Reply to
80 Knight

They also sell millions more in the US than any import. There must be a lot of Americans that agree with you personal opinion. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What did you expect from your old Porsche?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We may have. I really should be driving a Lucerne. That was my plan until the LeSabre just pushed me over the line and took away may down payment in repairs. Did I do the right thing buying a different band? I honestly won't know for a couple more years. Meantime, I've driven it 9,000 flawless miles, but I'd expect that from any new car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let us know how it goes with your Hyundai.

Reply to
80 Knight

At some things.

Less money???

Hey - this is a GM group. If you're going to say anything about a FoMoCo product, it has to be bad.

See above. Although... the Mustang is somewhat exempt.

Chevy and Ford - way better than anything from Japan. Dodge - a total piece of crap.

Where to start... You're going to be very disappointed this year as Toyota fields full time teams. Beyond that, what the hell is there about a NASCAR car that even remotely resembles production vehicles? The COT will only make that a more distant resemblence.

Have you been in a cave the past 15 years? The big three and the UAW have literally handed the market over to the imports and the jobs too.

It's "Datsun", not Dotson. The world has changed since the 70's. If you remember well enough, then you'll also remember that in the 70's and 80's the American automakers could not put out a car that didn't rust right in the dealer's lot.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You know I'm pretty much a died in the wool GM guy, but I too stepped out and bought a Hyundai, not so long ago. I bought my wife a 2004 Sonata. I was frustrated with some of the long standing, recurring issues with GM's. Not enough to completely turn me away, because a few months later I bought myself a Grand Am, but certainly enough to step outside of the GM product line.

My wife's car is coming on 60,000 miles and I have not repaired a thing except for replacing the headlight bulbs. It's almost too bad too, because the car has such a good warranty you almost want to use it... I will have to replace the timing belt very soon, as it's a 6 cylinder interference engine and the recommended interval is 60K. That's the nature of interference engines and timing belts though. Edwin won't have to worry about that in his car because his has a chain instead of a belt.

The ride, the fit and finish and the performance of this car are marvelous. It's very Buick-esq inside and it still rolls down the road as smooth as any GM I've ever owned. It rivals the rolling smoothness of our old '92 Park Ave Ultra, though not the complete plushness of that car. It's also stiffer over bumps than the Ultra, but not objectionably so. Still no rattles or shakes. No rust, and we're in upstate NY - lots of road salt here. The

2.7L V-6 is pure snot as long as you keep it in the torque band. Don't let it languish coming off the line or it acts like a 4 cylinder with a hang over. You don't have to floor it, but you don't want to creep off the line and then expect pull in second gear. It is after all, a 2.7L engine. OHC on top of that.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

I realy agree with nate in a certin aspect...what happened to the excitement you used to be able to get cavalier wagons in sticks! Now you cant even get a performance version of the impala in a stick. Thats exactly why enthusists went to other places for diffrent options for cars. No manual transmission...no business from me either.

Reply to
Enorym

It's different for me. I have been born and raised GM. Most of my family works for the local GM (Oshawa, Canada) plant. When I go car hunting, I go to GM places first, and I haven't really ever considered a foreign car. Besides that, I don't really care for the look of them either. The Mazda 6 (if memory serves) is an exception. I do like the look of it, but, like I said, its all Gm for me.

In my days of owning cars, I have had around 11. A few 3.1's, a 3400, two

3800 series I's, one Series II and my current 3800 Series II supercharged. Oh, and the 305 in my old '82 Trans Am that I had back in 2000. I have to say, my current car is my favorite. The supercharged engine puts out tons of power, and get's great gas mileage for such a powerful engine. The ride at the moment is not so good, as the front electronic shocks are on there way out, but it will take a corner at any speed I want, and goes over bumps in the road with no harshness. That, and it's almost 11 years old.
Reply to
80 Knight