What Happened to the Lutz Effect ?

Bob Lutz was praised as the savior who was going to lead GM back to product greatness.
Well, GM has launched some pretty good, though not class leading, Cadillacs.
Good start.
The GM truck line which makes all the profits is an aging line up of uncompetitive vehicles.
Saturn brought out two stinkers in a row, the "L" and "Ion".
Pontiac tried to sell an Australian car as the GTO and it is a slow mover.
Chevy's new Cobalt and Malibu are OK vehicles, but nothing which is going to lure a single buyer away from Toyota, Honda or Nissan.
The Buick and Pontiac brands are in free fall. The post Lutz new vehicles are all of the not-bad, ok car class. No "gotta have" vehicles there.
Meanwhile Hyundai/Kia are growing like gangbusters, Nissan has revived and even Chrysler has several hits on it's hands. Toyota continues it's march in the most relentless and effective fashion. Ford saved itself at least in the short run with a truck retooling and has gotten out of the gate with hybrids.
Where the heck is GM's cylinder deactivation roll out to improve fuel economy? They invented the darn thing back in the 1970s on Cadillacs.
GM is in deep, deep trouble and it is going to get much worse. I expect to see Pontiac and/or Buick as the next victims of the brand ax. GM has so mismanaged itself for these past 30 years as to make the situation almost unsavable. I sure am glad that I bit the bullet and sold my GM stock a year ago.
John
John Horner wrote:.

Each to their own. Toyota, Honda & Nissan have nothing that would lure me away from a GM vehicle.

I think all the badass GM vehicles are built and sold in the UK, (Vauxhall VX220, Chevy SS400) Saudi Arabia (Caprice, Lumina), and Australia (Holden Monero, the El Camino looking car/trucks with the 5.7L's)
If GM would release some of these vehicles here, they would defiantely sell well, only reason the GTO didnt sell it because all the old foogies trashed it because it didn't live up to their hyped up expectations, and heaven forbid that they sell anything that might possibly come close to performing as well as a Corvette...
John Horner wrote:

Lutz the putz who landed his jet at metro without putting the wheels down. Lutz the putz who told the radio audience that it's GM's job to tell customers what they want in vehicle design. (almost a direct quote) GM, who removes the dipsticks from the transmissions so customers won't screw up and overfill them. GM, who considered and may be considering a sealed engine that requires no maintenance or only dealer maintenance. GM, with their pink antifreeze and their pandemic intake manifold leaks. Customers look, listen, and consider what they hear. All these things and more eventually work against market share.

I was listening to the business report on the radio. It said that GM announced that due to declining sales, they were going to raise their prices to make up the difference in revenue. Raising prices to offset declining sales? Yeah, that should work fine.
"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas