What is a Chevy Aveo?

Page 1 of 2
I really never buy small cars, but I noticed a CHEVY AVEO on the road today. What is it? Is it made in the USA or imported under a Chevy label? Looks
like a Toyota Echo/Scion xA.
Google it plenty of info and reviews available.

-
Too lazy. Just feed me the answer!

It's a Daewoo with a bowtie.
Ah! Thanks! I knew it didn't "look American". The Cobalt does...but I hear it's a Detroit built Opel.

Nothing wrong with that.
Right!

Nope, but the old Cavalier is a better looking car then either the new Cobalt or the Aveo.
I no longer buy domesticly made or owned vehicles, but I have to disagree. I think for a small car, the Cobalt was done up nicely.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:28:56 -0400, "D.D. Palmer"

To each his own.
It is made in Korea by GM subsidiary, Suzuki..
mike hunt
"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

No, it's made by Daewoo. In Korea. Vehicles like Trackers were made by Suzuki.
Ian
Np so.. Daewoo no longer makes vehicles. Daewoo exists as a part suppler only and a dealership group. GM bought the Daewoo factories several years ago in bankruptcy court but not the name or the parts of dealership group organization. The vehicles assembled in former Daewoo factories in Korea wear Suzuki and Chevy brands.
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Not technically true. In Korea, they still sell the Daewoos, though it is under GM management.
The model in quesion is the Daewoo Kalos. IT's a piece of junk and sells for $7K in Korea(adjusted for exchange rates!). Slap a Chevy label and some smog equipment on it and presto - $11K piece of junk.
I'd take a Cavallier over this anyday.
Its an econo-box. Buy a bigger car.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Harry Face wrote:

^^^ Impressive aren't those 3.8 engines? :) Mine's got 180K on it now and even though it gets maybe 20mpg, it won't die.
as part of the Daewoo bailout, GM now gets to sell some of their cars - the Chevy Epica is another one - and suzuki also sells a version. Strange how under-marketed they are compared to the rest of the chevy family, huh?
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

The Aveo, built in South Korea and based on the Kalos, built by General Motors-controlled Daewoo,
Ah, but we were talking about the new Aveo-which you may pronounce ah-vay-oh or av-ee-oh, your pick. You could also call it a Kalos, since that is the name of the Daewoo model on which it is based.
The Chevrolet-badged Aveo is built by Daewoo to North American specifications.
Note the Aveo is built in South Korea, too, and comes to Chevy after parent company General Motors Corp. bought some of the assets of the failed Daewoo car company.
It's based on a globally popular model called the Kalos built by Korean carmaker Daewoo.
Pronounced Ah-VAY-oh, it's a product of GM-DAT - General Motors-Daewoo Auto and Technology, formed when GM bought controlling interest in the bankrupt Korean automaker Daewoo in 2002. Suzuki's smaller stake in the company means that the Korean-built Aveo also emerges as the Suzuki Swift+
2004 Chevrolet Aveo: Highlights
This new entry-level model sticks a Chevrolet badge on a car designed by the now-bankrupt Daewoo Motor Company, Ltd. Aveo is built in South Korea by GM Daewoo Automotive Technologies, formed by General Motors after it bought parts of Daewoo.
There are probably thousands more that could be quoted off the internet. These are not built "by" Suzuki, they are built "for" Suzuki "by" GM Daewoo. They are Korean built, not Japanese built. But you believe whatever you want.
Ian
Obviously you are not a GM shareholder. If you were, lile I, you would know the factories owed by the former, now defunct company know as Daewoo are now owned by GM. Those factories are now run by Suzuki where they build vehicles in those plants that wear Suzuki and GM brand labels. Daewoo has gone the way of DeSoto, Packard, Oldsmobile etc. ;)
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

Ian is ONLY a DEALER technician. You know a Guy who WORKS for GM. Not just a shareholder. Daewoo does still sell autos BUT not in the US. They are sold in the UK and Ireland and Australia though.
http://www.gmdat.com/eng/index.jsp if your interested.
Current models are the Kalos, Tacuma, Lacetti, Matiz,Rezzo,Magnus, Damas2, Labo.
http://www.virgincars.com/Newcars2.aspx?CID 510 if you want a new Lacetti - Only 6999.00
For a 2003 review http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1811/article.html
GM Will Spend $2 Billion to Spruce Up Small Cars Dow Jones Business News/ Tuesday February 11, 12:41 am ET DETROIT -- The worlds biggest auto maker is counting on smaller cars to help its bottom line, Tuesdays Wall Street Journal reported. After years of raking in fat profits on big pickups and sport-utility vehicles, General Motors Corp. is spending nearly $2 billion to overhaul the other end of its lineup, bringing out a string of new or reconfigured compact cars and trucks over the next few years. GM believes that the smartly designed new models will boost its market share among cash-strapped younger buyers. Outclassed by European and Japanese competitors and underpriced by South Korean rivals, GMs current entry level lineup in the U.S. has generated losses of as much as $1 billion a year in recent years. GM also needs the small vehicles because they usually get good gas mileage, offsetting in government fuel-economy calculations the more-profitable but thirstier large cars and trucks GM sells. These calculations set standards for the average mileage of a companys entire fleet. Much of GMs investment is going to upgrade its dated lineup of small cars and pickups with more-stylish vehicles offering zippier engines, better rides and classier interiors that GM hopes will command higher prices. To help take some of the pricing pressure off its core models, GM plans to sell low-price cars from its South Korean venture, which bought much of the bankrupt Daewoo Motor Co., in the U.S. GM will sell one car, a subcompact, under its Chevrolet brand, while two other

Suzuki Motor Corp., GMs Japanese affiliate. Wall Street Journal Staff Reporter Gregory L. White contributed to this report.
wrote:

General
ah-vay-oh
is the