What is the normal running temp on a 1991 Geo Prizm?

I was just wondering what the normal running temp is for a 1991 Geo Prizm, My father in Law is having problems with his getting to hot, his fan will run
when the air is on but the secondary fan will not come on what could be causing this problem??? could it be a temp sensor?