What is this red light on my Le Sabre dash ? photo below

http://www.geocities.com/r11rs/Buickdash2.jpg
I can't find this anywhere in the owners book , wondered what it is for and what it means when it comes on.
TIA. P. Mitchell
I forgot to mention it's a 2002 LeSabre Limited.

I make the guess that it is the vehicle theft light or an aftermarket version or dealer installed version of a vehicle theft deterrent light. Of course I have no facts to back it up with.
Agreed, there is no indicator there from the factory.
wrote:

-
My 2002 Le sabre Custom without the Head's Up Display, doesn't have a red light there :( , but I love her anyway :) .
Thanks all.
I suspected it was not factory original.
As the other poster said, its probably for an after market alarm system. Does the car have a keyed hood lock under the dash? Did you buy the car used? Does it have an alarm? Does the red light even light?
Car is used, I got it last week. Light does not light up ( so far ), no sign of alarm system yet but I will look again. Love the car, only problem now is instruments and heater/ac ctrls are dark at night, they work ok but no lighting. any tips on what to look for ? ( fuse # 7 is ok )

If that red light ever does come on, exit the car immediately and run as fast as you can...just kidding.
It was so DARK yesterday afternoon...that when I stopped at a red light then the traffic light turned green, my dashboard lit up because the Daytime Running Lights switched off.
Later, that night, my dash would not light up when I started my car! I had to manually turn on my lights FROM Daytime Running Lights Mode to Nighttime Mode in order for my dash lights to light up in the pitch black.
I drove around but nothing helped fix the problem. I let the car sit for an hour then went to the store to pick up some milk, and the dash still did not work right. When I pulled into the store parking lot, a cop was there with his rader going. When I came out, the cop was gone, but my car started up and now my dash lights work fine. Could it be that just slamming the trunk shut fixed the problem?
| > As the other poster said, its probably for an after market alarm system. | > Does the car have a keyed hood lock under the dash? Did you buy the car | > used? Does it have an alarm? Does the red light even light? | > | > Harryface | > 05 Park Avenue, 33,138 | > 91 Bonneville LE 305,222 | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | |
message

It's more likely that the cop irradiated your car with his radar and the resultant EMF reset the primary input to the irrelevant output modulator. The good news is that it's working now, the bad news is that if you climbed into the car within 4 hours of when he shot it with his radar gun, you're probably now sterile.
In the off chance that he didn't irradiate your car and the problem pops up again, play with the dashboard headlight switch. A lot of these problems are a faulty switch. They start out somewhat intermittent and get worse over time.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
HLM wrote:

Hmmm, looks like an indicator for an alarm system. Probably not factory.
John

I suspect its just an ornamental option, to make the dash look more importatnt.