What is Wrong With Giving Cadillacs Names Instead of Three Letter No-Names?

I really am stumped by the way marketing people run around like lemings doing what the other guy is doing. Cadillac has a long history of exotic sounding names for it's cars, yet is killing off the names one by
one for three letter no-names. Sedan deVille has a rich history, now it is the "DTS". Seville became STS (the same name as a trucking company uses). I can't even remember the name of the newish sportscar. The show car version was called Evoq, and no name has better routes than Eldorado. The small sedan is a CTS now. The only traditional name is on trucks for goodness sake, the Escalade. Is the next Escalade going to become an ESC?
I guess this is all a matter of playing follow the leader to MB and BMW.
Then there is Saab's unbelievably goofy system. "9-3", "9-5" ???? Sound like a short workday and a traditional workday. Oh boy, let me buy a new nine-to-five! Yuck.
To think that GM has some of the highest paid marketing people in the world is enough to turn one's stomach :(>.
John

I completely agree!
The Coupe DeVille, now there was a name! Everyone knows, THAT is a Cadillac! STS, DTS, CTS....what the hell are those?
The 3 letter/number name plates probably save GM over $1 per car!
Tradition is fading fast these days! That is a sorry course to follow and we will be the worse for it......
Dave S(Texas)
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

They just think it is more "now" . . . bla bla bla . . . to sell more cars!

I also miss (and prefer) the names over the letters. But, Cadillac sales are one of GM's few bright spots these days. Hard to argue with what the results seem to be. Of course, who would have ever thought that a Led Zeppelin song would ever show up on a Cadillac commercial either? ;-)
I heard the guy who recommended Led Zeppelin music for the Cadillac commercial was fired when he accidentally cued "The Lemon Song."
"" wrote: > I heard the guy who recommended Led Zeppelin music for the > Cadillac > commercial was fired when he accidentally cued "The Lemon > Song."
El Dog was always my favorite name and I agree, I cant keep them strait anymore.