What removes duct tape adhesive?

Anyone know what the best thing is for removing the residual adhesive from Duct Tape? Preferably something which won't affect the color of the plastic dashboard on which it is stuck. Normally I'd expect laquer
thinner or something to cut through it but I think it would make it look like hell afterwards. TIA
James Goforth wrote:

Bob
-

Stay away from any hard core solvents on your dashboard. Try lighter fluid.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I second lighter fluid.
Steve
Lighter fluid is what finally worked .

Some skin softeners work well, like Skin-so-soft, but you really have to rub it in.
I've also heard some vegetable oils, or even peanut butter.
Then there's commercial products, like Goo-Gone.
Mineral spirits works fine
mike

Try the citrus based solvent, but test on an inconspicuous area first. I think the chemical name is D-Limanol but not sure.
Next time try WD40.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.gm / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Lighter fluid will beat WD40, hands down, every time.
I am not knocking ligher fluid. WD40 is a bit more common / convenient than lighter fluid and worth a try.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.gm / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
chemical name of "lighter fluid"................NAPTHA.......available at wal-mart in a gallon container...........

Problem with WD40 is the residue...and the smell. It also doesn't work quite as well as lighter fluid.
Steve