What's hot? Cars that last

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:35:59 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer

You've never owned a PT Cruiser!! Thankfully mine is NOT the Turbo - this one is tight enough (the early 2.4, not the "world engine)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

True -- though that same daughter did have a '95 Neon for a while (similar though not the same, in spite of some who make the claim, platform) and it was the single easiest vehicle to work on I've ever owned, including my '66 Charger.
Unfortunately, part of her disenchantment with it stemmed from the fact that it was as easy for stereo thieves to work on as it was for us...
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:24:33 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer

My daughter had a '89 Neon - was broken into 3 times and stolen once - But working on it - even being a twin cam was a veritable CINCH compared to the PR. There isn't room for a flee to move under the confines of a PT hood - those big fenders, narrow grill, oldfashioned look really puts a damper on things. Would be easier with the engine in lengthwize!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did the PT ever get switched over to the World Engine? I've never been clear on that. If so, it must have been in the last 3 years, the 06 we looked at before buying the 05 still had the 2.4. Interesting, I just did some googling around and I can only find references to the TURBO motor being switched to the "world engine" platform in 07, but I have to assume that the NA version was also switched.

All '07 and I believe the last of the 06 production are 2.4 "world engine" - AKA Hyundai/Kia/ ? /? /?
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi. Hopefully the Chrysler participation prevented too much oil burning and head cracking from the Mitsu side of things :-/
Hyundai and Kia are the same parent company now, I think.

Nope.
No PT Cruiser had the world engine.
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:22:26 -0700, bllsht

You are wrong. 2007 and up have the world engine.
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:58:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Afraid not.
Ever seen one? Can you tell the difference?
09 PT Cruiser 2.4L SMPI & 2.4L turbo: http://www.chrysler.com/en/2009/pt_cruiser/performance/powertrain /
Specs from Chrysler service information: Displacement 2.4 Liters 148 cu. in. Bore 87.5 mm 3.445 in. Stroke 101.0 mm 3.976 in.
09 Sebring/Avenger/Caliber/Patriot/Compass/Journey 2.4L dVVT "World Engine": http://www.chrysler.com/en/2009/sebring/performance/powertrain /
Specs from Chrysler service information: Displacement 2.4 Liters 146.5 cu. in. Bore 88 mm 3.465 in. Stroke 97 mm 3.819 in.
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:46:36 -0700, bllsht

Mea Culpa. I was wrong. The PT Cruiser appears to be the one holdout for the old Neon 2.0 based 2.4
I've been wrong before - and likely will be sometime again!!
There was RUMOR that the PT was to get the World Engine, but apparently it did not happen.
Mine is a 2002
bllsht wrote:

THANK YOU! Definitive info at last!!!! The bore and stroke difference are certainly conclusive.
I've been meaning to look up the bore-center spacing. If its the same, then the block and crank of the current "world engine" are derivative of the first 2.2 and the 2.5 from way back in the 80s. The 2.0/2.4 shared a lot of 2.2 dimensions like that, and at least one complete assembly from the 2.5- the balance shaft module.

25 hours? I'm trying to imagine how this is possible -- how are the threads repaired? I can't imagine doing heli-coils would take anywhere near this long.
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:23:19 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer

They are a complex engine jammed tightly into a cramped hood. Extremely difficult to work on. I was mistaken. the bolts to not go down to the bearing girdle - but they DO pull out tlike the headbolts on the Magnesium block VW pancakes (1500 and 1600 "suitcase" engines in particular) and the same type of "TymeSert" threaded bushing needs to be installed. I believe ARP has a different solutionusing larger head bolts as well. The originals IIRC are 11mm - a non-standard thread.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

That's still pretty wild. I'm not familiar with the VW engine, so that description doesn't help much; a nonstandard thread might help explain the price, but not the 25 hours.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I have no problem imagining it the way everything has to be so integrated on modern cars for compactness and weight - between consumer and government demands and regulations, to even hope to be competitive, the manufacturers have to cram 30 pounds of crap into the proverbial 5 pound bag. The consumer and the governments have gotten what they asked for/demanded along with all of the unintended consequences that create maintenance nightmares and multiple thousand dollar routine maintenance issues for the consumer. Welcome to the modern world.
--
Bill Putney

The majority of the book time is because you can't do the job with the engine in the car and you can't pull the engine from the top... you have to drop the entire cradle out the bottom. Here's a step by step guide http://cadillacforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t090
If you want to learn more about the problem visit http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion /
There are a couple of really good NorthStar "stickys" at the top with a great discussion of the problem complete with pictures.
Perhaps I see them a bit more since I live in the land of the Blue Hairs but the pick and pull is overrun with these cars down here.
Steve B.
Steve B. wrote:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion /
Particularly revealing to me was the survey of gasket/bolt failures at:
http://tinyurl.com/cz3p6m
Which clearly reveals that there was a rash of failures between 1997 and 1999, trailing off with none reported in their survey after MY 2003 (and only 2 in 2003).
Granted the sample size is small, but that's an AWFULLY clear trend!
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:43:04 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer

25 hours is CONSERVATIVE. You've gotta have a few under your belt to make flat rate on them - and most dealer techs don't want to do them because it takes MORE than they get paid for flat rate.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Yes, the whole comment pretty much fails the sanity check test. Of course so does the fact that I, whose very blood cells are shaped like little Chrysler pentastars, am defending GM. :-)
Where's the guy who went by "VioletLightning" when you need him to comment on Northstar service procedures? I guess he might still respond if this were in .tech, but I actually haven't seen a post from him in a long time.
wrote in message

You've missed my point. What JD Power is saying is that the IQS numbers predict very well what the Vehicle Durability Study numbers three years down the road will look like. That is not worthless.
Derek