What's the best handling GM sedan ?

Page 2 of 2
Justin wrote:

They will regret it when all the transmissions start blowing up. Dumb pick for a cop car, if you ask me. Should stick to a good rear wheel drive sedan. Our police force uses the Impala's too, they are always in our shop with blown transmissions. Poor bastards. An RCMP car (Impala) recently went to give chase to some maggot out by Canmore and promptly blew the trans. He was not a happy camper when it got towed into our shop.
Ian
Ian

Impalas might be bad for dept's that have a lot of high speed chases, but small town or in city patrol should be well within the Impala's capabilities. If not, GM needs to beef up these trannies.
I consult to to fleet service comply that services thousands of police cars in several eastern states. Many State and local Departments particularly small departments in the snow belt thought when the Chevy and Dodge FWD police cars became available a few years ago, that they could do better with FWD in winter, buy them for $2,000 less than the Ford Interceptor and get better fuel mileage in the bargain. We service ALL types of cars and our Managers and Accounts warned the purchasing agents that the insurance, maintenance and repair costs are far greater for FWD vehicles than RWD vehicles. We warned them those operating costs will quickly eat up any initial savings or fuel savings. Especially on vehicles kept in service over 150K, as many small departments are prone to do. Many have learned their lesson and are now going back to the CV. When it comes to running super high mileage's, nothing come close to the CV in cost effectiveness
The new RWD Dodge uses the new Chrysler 300 chassis, but not the body. Next year when Dodge starts using the Chrysler 300 body, not just the chassis, Dodge will again offer a certified police unit and FINALLY in RWD.
mike hunt
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in

It'll be nice if Chrysler can get back into police service again. The Dodge Diplomats and Plymouth Gran Furys (318ci for patrol --360ci for the interceptor version) that left production in '89 were superior to the Crown Vics and Caprices in terms of handling and acceleration, so I hear. Hopefully the new police cars by Chrysler can keep that tradition going. Blues Brothers seemed happy with their 440ci Dodge Monaco.

The 3.8 in the Regal/Impala can get that also...

Considering everything stock, and currently in production I'd go with a Grand Prix GTP.
Tony
Quite a few hilly/curvy roads here in NE Pennsylvania? That's the ONLY kind of roads you have in Pennsylvania north of Allentown. ;)
mike hunt

Hey.... how do you like those "no-notice" - "right-angle" exit ramps.
It seems they're always pulliing some 18 wheeler out of the center of the clover-leaf.
I guess that by the time they're done paying off the politicians, and the union leaders, there just isn't that much left for actual construction.
I recently made a road trip to Arizona.
Highway builders down there don't know how easy they have it; Just scrape some sand out of the way, and pour concrete !
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:00:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

<rj>
RJ wrote:

speed limit tickets they give to out of state drivers would be able to pay for better roads. I do my best to not stop anywhere in that state anymore.
Gotta be the new '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Competition G edition.
That car was designed to handle extremely well, be quick with the 260HP V6 and practical. Rear doors open near 90 degrees, front seat folds flat, back seats fold down.
Of course the Cadillac CTS V would kick it's but, but it would cost a lot more. The regular CTS is no slouch either in the handling department, though the GTP has more HP and is roomier.