What's the difference between 5.0 and 5.7 except .7???

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I am looking at 1997-2001 chev and GMC vans.&nbsp; I note that some have
5.7 liter and others 5.0 liter engines but the same vin engine ID.&nbsp; What is the difference besides power.&nbsp; i.e. reliability, durability, etc between these engines.&nbsp; I am a long time do it myselfer and know how hard it is to work on an engine tucked under the dash. <p>Bill</html>
"Bill" wrote

difference besides power. i.e. reliability, durability, etc between these engines. I am a long time do it myselfer and know how hard it is to work on an engine tucked under the dash.
It's not possible that some of the vans have one engine or the other, and yet they both have the same VIN letter. The 5.0 is an "M" engine, the 5.7 is an "R" engine. They are pretty much identical, other then the bore size.
Ian

please lose the HTML... usenet is text only.
-Bret