What voids a GM warranty?

Hi,
More importantly....my Saturn SC2 is up for it's first oil change soon and I would like to know if taking it to any place for an oil change would void my
GM warranty??? What about other general maintanence (brake pads, rad fluid, purchasing new rims, etc)
Any help would be appreciated Thank you,
Confused in Canada
Lordfalco wrote:

No, none of that will void your warranty. Just keep your oil change reciepts.
Ian
Ian....what constitutes an 'oil change receipt' for those who do it yourself. I like to buy 2-3 filters at a time and buy oil when its on sale, a case or two. I don't have to go to the store everytime I need to change oil etc. The receipt date has nothing to do with when I change the oil etc. From your experience, how does GM handle situations like that.??

MikeG wrote:

Keep a log book. If it doesn't look like you just slapped it together last night when the engine blew up, they won't have any problems with that sort of documentation. Anyway, it's probably a good idea to keep a log book of your maintenance, sure helps when you go to sell the vehicle.
Ian
Hello, Speaking from experience, you can do all the maintenance you like. Even if you dont do maintenance and blow up your engine, by law...the onus is on GM and the dealer to prove that the engine failed because of lack of maintenance...it is not on you to prove you followed the books.
Maintenance schedules depend on the type of service which is mentioned in the owners manual. In Alberta, it is assumed that we are under severe duty.
In any case, go ahead and do your maintenance and keep a log book or better yet go to www.gmcanada.com and sign up for their maintenance planner program which will record all your service and notify you when service is due...
Good luck...hope you enjoy your Saturn...

Steve wrote:

So you've neglected maintenance on one of your engines, had it blow up and then gotten warranty on it? There is no doubt that GM will bend over backwards to warranty things, but I've seen numerous occasions in our dealership where warranty has been denied because of obvious lack of maintenance (factory original filter still on the engine at 40k klms) and lack of any records.
It's a lot better to just keep a record of what you are doing, then have to fight about it when the time comes.
Ian
"shiden_kai" wrote:

Again if a engine fails from oil neglect, it will be obvious when you tear into it.
SnoMan wrote:

No shit, Sherlock!
Ian
"Lordfalco" wrote:

YOu just need to be able to kinda prove you serviced the car. Even if it mean keeping your WalMart receipts if you buy and change your own oil and filter.
snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says...

and never needed any proof when getting warranty work done. --
Cheers!
Jan

--

Has that warranty work you've had done been for engine problems (rings,
valve seals, etc.)?
"xmirage2kx" wrote:

If you have a engine problem due to improper maintanice (not changing oil)it will be appearent when you tear into it. There is no cause for concern here with warranty. A much bigger concern is for poeple who buy SUV.s and jack them up and install large tires without regearing the vehical properly and tranny fails or chopping up the exhaust system and then having drivabilty and emisson problems. This can be a big problem for warranty work.
xmirage2kx wrote:

This certainly is not the case in the US.
John