Whats up with TSBs?

My wifes 99 Alero is developing a fairly irritating squeak in the front end. It kind of resembles the sound you would get when the speed or tach cable needed to be oiled. Just a faint, have to turn off the
radio to hear squeak as you go down the road. The noise if definately in the front driver side of the car and is very noticable (over the radio) when you go over a speed bump or through a storm drain a little fast.
I scheduled an appointment with a dealership for Monday and he said itll be $102.50/hr for as long as it takes to find the squeak. While I pray they find it in the first hour my luck is such that they will call me in two days and ask if they should keep looking.
I went by the library this morning and found the following TSBs;
01-03-08-002 99-03-08-004 01-03-08-003(A)
they each address front end noises on her car.
While I would like to make them known to the dealership I dont want to create a hostile environment then leave my car. How should I mention the TSBs? Are work from TSBs free or discounted? Can I ask them to look at the TSB stuff first then call me if that doesnt fix the problem? You guys that work for dealerships, how would you like this presented to you?

TSB's arn't the same as campaigns, they are just a procedure for fixing a common problem.
Try greasing the front strut mounts. Our 2002 was dry and making a lot of noise. A little lube fixed that right up.
Jason

> Try greasing the front strut mounts. Our 2002 was dry and making a lot > of noise. A little lube fixed that right up.
Do I use a grease gun to do this? Are there zerts? By mounts do you mean what ever the strut attaches to at either end?
"LeBuick" wrote:
99 Alero developing irritating squeak in the front end. Noise resembles that of dry tach cable. Faint sound, must to turn off the radio to hear squeak. Noise if definitely in the front driver side of the car. ___________________________________________
Could be brake pad jingling against slightly warped rotor. This can happen with good brake pads.
FIX: Take out pads and apply noise-damping compound to their metal faces, then reinstall. Replace the pads if they are worn.
Good luck.
Wendy & John. __________________________________________
LeBuick ___________________________________________
Could be brake pad jingling against slightly warped rotor. This can happen with good brake pads.
FIX: Take out pads and apply noise-damping compound to their metal faces, then reinstall. Replace the pads if they are worn. Good luck.
Wendy & John. __________________________________________
How do I tell if this is the case?
LeBuick _____________________________________________
To check if noise is from brakes:
If your car is FWD, jack up front end onto jackstands, put car in gear and spin wheels at different RPMs while listening for noise from brakes and/or other areas.
If your car is RWD, jack up each front wheel and spin it up somehow; maybe with the friction from a rotating wire brush chucked in a drill motor; maybe by taking off one lug nut and cranking the wheel with a plastic pipe slipped over the lug stud; maybe by (ran out of ideas).
Good luck.
Wendy & John. ______________________________________________
[...]
Forgot to mention: When the noise appears while driving, gently apply the brakes. If the noise stops, it was being made by jingling brake shoes.
Wendy & John. ______________________________________________
> Forgot to mention: When the noise appears while driving, > gently apply the brakes. If the noise stops, it was being > made by jingling brake shoes.
I was thinking this way also. Im sure that it is not the breaks then. I climbed underneath the car today and put grease everwhere I thought it wouldnt hurt anything and the squeak is still there. I guess Ill just show the copies of the TSBs and ask what do they think and go from there...
LeBuick wrote in alt.autos

A Technical Service Bulletin is a memo sent from the manufacturer to the dealers to inform the service department of something. Could be anything from how to submit warranty claims to how to repair some problem, or even on how a problem is not warranty related. The mechanic will already have read the TSB, most likely. And he is the one who is most qualified to diagnose the problem. If the problem is not solved, then you politely mention that you saw that there were some TSB's on the noise, and did he refer to those? It is never a good idea to tell a mechanic how to do his job. He is likely to do exactly what you tell him to do, rather than fix the problem.
--
Dick #1349
> The mechanic will already have read the TSB, most likely. And he is > the one who is most qualified to diagnose the problem. If the problem > is not solved, then you politely mention that you saw that there were > some TSBs on the noise, and did he refer to those? > > It is never a good idea to tell a mechanic how to do his job. He is
> likely to do exactly what you tell him to do, rather than fix the > problem. > I agree, I did consumer electronics in the past and that is why I was wondering the best way to approach it. Do you suggest I give them a time limit up front? Like say after two hours ($203) give me a call and we can go from there? Im just trying to avoid surprises.
LeBuick wrote in alt.autos.gm

Just tell them that you don't have alot of money to spend on this. Usually they will do their best to keep costs down. Talk to them about it. And, the more information you can give them, the easier it will be to track down the noise.
--
Dick #1349
"Dick C" wrote: > LeBuick wrote in alt.autos.gm > > > > The mechanic will already have read the TSB, most > likely. And he is > > > the one who is most qualified to diagnose the > problem. If the > > problem > > > is not solved, then you politely mention that you > saw that there > > were > > > some TSBs on the noise, and did he refer to those? > > > > > > It is never a good idea to tell a mechanic how to do > his job. He is > > > > > likely to do exactly what you tell him to do, rather > than fix the > > > problem. > > > > > I agree, I did consumer electronics in the past and that is > why I was > > wondering the best way to approach it. Do you suggest I give > them a > > time limit up front? Like say after two hours ($203) give me > a call > > and we can go from there? Im just trying to avoid > surprises. > > Just tell them that you dont have alot of money to spend on > this. > Usually they will do their best to keep costs down. Talk to > them > about it. And, the more information you can give them, the > easier > it will be to track down the noise. > > -- > Dick #1349 > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little > temporary > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." > ~Benjamin Franklin > > Home Page: dickcr.iwarp.com > email: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net